HONDA IZY HARD TO START

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello ,my mowers been brilliant up till now but the only way i can get it to start is by pooring petrol into the engine through the spark plug hole or by taking the air cleaner off and pooring some in that way . So far ive fitted a new plug ,new petrol ,hole in filler cap trick ,and stripped and cleaned all jets in carburetor. when it does start eventually it does seem to run ok which baffles me , has anybody any ideas , im thinking its still a fuel problem as when it does start it seems fine

Sponsored Links
The Izy is one of the best machines in the world, bar none.
However, they get very grumpy indeed if the choke flap doesn't close when the cable tells it to. Can you check this first?
John :)

Thanks for your quick reply .at work at moment but will check first thing in morning. Does the choke just work manually of the throttle cable.? Thanks again

Yes it does.....when you are at maximum revs, the throttle lever comes up to a stop. Going further than this stop engages the choke.
Of course, this only works if the throttle cable is adjusted correctly! The outer sheath is clamped at the carburettor and can be adjusted either way.

Sponsored Links
Just had a look and your right the choke flap isn't moving . I couldn't work out why at first but its all been an own goal .when Ive stripped carburetor Ive put linkage in wrong hole . Its all back together now and started first pull just the revs seen very high. Thanks again .sometimes you Cant see wood for trees

Sometimes Honda - and others - make it really awkward to get those links off.....the secret is to slacken the carb off as much as you can, and then unscrew one of the studs.
The carb can then be tilted 90 deg and the links disconnected. PITA :p

Its important on these machines Graham that the rods that go to the carb from the governor lever aren't bent out of shape in any way, and that they do get returned into their original position.
Can you confirm this?
Another issue could be the throttle stop screw (on the top of the carb, facing backwards and nigh on invisible with the covers on) isn't screwed in too far.
Of course, there is that throttle cable adjustment - and often there is a 'truth' mark which shows where its original position was.

Ok Will check all linkages and cables. It starts first pull now no hassle and runs smooth.been a good mower for years and never really had to touch it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back