1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Honda Izy HRG 416 PK - Draining fuel

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by Twofingertyper, 14 Feb 2020.

1. Twofingertyper

Twofingertyper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

This is a simple question, but I am simple person.

At the end of last year there was only a bit of fuel left in my Honda, so even though I drained the remainder before putting it into storage there wasn't a lot to make a mess with. Oil was straight forward and easy.

However, I wondered if there's a trick to draining fuel that I'm not aware of? I need to unscrew a nut to start draining things, but there's precious little space between the nut and the mower to fit anything in. If the mower had more petrol in it I may have struggled!

I feel like I must be missing something incredibly simple? Could anyone politely enlighten me?

2. scbk

scbk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is this for storage?
    It's not something I bother with, just turn off the fuel tap if there is one.

If the machine won't start when you come back to it, empty the float bowl on the carb to let new petrol through.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Izy has a fuel tap. If you want to drain the tank, disconnect the rubber pipe after the tap and drain, if you want to empty the carb, remove the 10mm screw on the lower side of the float bowl (not the central one.) Any residual fuel will run out.
    You can always start the engine, turn the fuel off and run the engine until it cuts out.
    The only fuel filter is a fine gauze in the tank.
    John :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Twofingertyper

Twofingertyper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks both - very helpful to know! Was always told to drain before storage (fuel quality degrades, etc) but will be sure to remember your advice for the end of the year!

5. Sponsored Links
  6. domdee

domdee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've never drained my machines over winter and never had starting issues the following spring. Just top up with fresh fuel and go.

if it was left for a long time (seversal years) you'd need to drain it however.

My izzy is the best starter ive owned