Electrical mechanical valves central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just changed the pump on my fully pumped system it was a like for like pump. System has 2 zones upstairs and down stairs. Turned it on pump works fine and upstairs works fine but downstairs doesn't come on at all . I opened the downstairs em valve manually but it still won't come on! In fact ho t water up to the valve cold beyond! Taken the Honeywell mechanism off and turned the valve with my fingers it moves freely but won't allow got water to flow? I live in a very soft water area (old pump Was fairly clean inside) My question is can these valves really block up inside? It's a very old system 30 ish years . Any help please thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Valves can block up, but unlikely from the work you’ve carried out (unless of course you’ve disturbed anything). Have you got rid of any air, or was it just isolation valves turned off at pump?

Is the arrow on the new pump pointing in the same direction as the old?

Did you close the valves, or drain?

What happens if you turn off all the hot radiators with their knobs?

Hi many thanks for getting back , air in the system could be a problem I guess, So I drained down the system from a valve at the lowest point in the system in order to install the new pump. (I am not an expert of course ) The system refills when I turn the water back on. I have bled all radiators and gone back to the drain valve and checked that water comes out rather than air. When I turn off a working upstairs radiator it goes off as expected! The pump was installed the same as the previous pump. (I must stress that the system has worked fine for 30 years) The pump installs upside down (to copy the previous pump) ie the label is upside down. Again thanks to all (Happy Christmas)

Sponsored Links
The orientation of the label doesn't mean anything,close all working radiators and try to force the heat through the non working ones

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Some suggestions:
Take a picture of the pump and the settings its on. Make sure you show the arrow
Take a picture of anything else thats been changed during your recent work.
Modern pumps are different than the old fixed speed and old systems don't like the new variable speed.

Air takes ages to remove sometimes.

Was your tank dirty? You may have washed muck or sludge somewhere it shouldn't be.

I'd say to drain it back down and flush your rads out whilst you can. The crud that builds up in them really gooses the system.

So I re drained the system the water was clear no bits in it. Re filled with all em valves open bled the radiators still the same problem the house has 3 floors an em valve for each plus one for the hot water. So in the picture directly opposite the pump is the middle floor which works fine. On the right of the H is the top and ground floor. The top floor works very weakly and the ground floor lower right of the H not at all. Awaiting your ideas thanks !

Attachments

• DSC02980.JPG
    DSC02980.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 83
Pump should be pumping downwards. Have you checked the air release valve on the end of the up leg? Unlikely anything has blocked up whilst you changed the pump if it worked before. What was the reason for changing the pump?

Hi thanks again is this the valve in the middle of the pic . I have bled it !

Does the speed setting/output on the new pump match the speed/output on the old pump?

Have you set it on max for 10 mins to clear out the air locks? (Might help)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back