electrical problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i replaced an old consumer unit with a new one mcb's and everything, put a new ring main in kitchen, 2nd ring main for rest of house. turned it on and voila ... rcd blew. lots of scratching of the head and checking, problem was my freezer was beginning to defrost. seems only house ring blew the rcd, kitchen one was ok, so i ran a couple of extension leads from kitchen into front room and plugged tele and fridge into the extension leads. now the house ring ok and the kitchen one wont work.
i wont bore you but turns out that my fridgefreezer that had worked happily for 10 years under the old consumer unit. had been wired up wrongly, i went to check the fuse to find my neutral was where my earth should have been. i actually renewed the flex but cant work out because the neutral terminal with the earth in it was wired to earth terminal on fridge.the earth terminal with neutral in it was wired to neutral on the fridge. was the electric running backward or what. assume rcd picked it up because of the earth leakage or something. works perfectly now but would like to know what was happening.

Sponsored Links
sorry lads, this post was meant for diy disasters, dont know how it got in with you experts. and before you ask, yes i did check electrics, yes i did notify building control, no i am not a complete ning-nong, just havent done it for a long while.

Neutral and earth are at about the same potential, in a TN-S system the cables join together at the sub station, in a TN-CS system they join together at your DNO service head. This means that instead of using the neutral as a return path, the fridge was using the earth conductor. This, without going into detail, is not a safe practice. At least you have it sorted now.

Sponsored Links
cheers spark123, that explanation makes perfect sense. one assumes an appliance is wired properly, just goes to show not to take anything for granted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back