Electrical problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.......

I have just changed a new light fitting in my bedroom and upon taking the old ceiling rose off found it to be the main loop for the upstairs of the house. Earth wire, red wires, and black wires. The new light only had a 3 connecter box so i purchased one with more connectors and fitted all the wires back into what i thought was the correct slots. Apon turning the power back on the light comes on but does not turn off and the rest of the upstairs lights dont work. What have i done wrong!!

Sponsored Links
Please help.......

I have just changed a new light fitting in my bedroom and upon taking the old ceiling rose off found it to be the main loop for the upstairs of the house. Earth wire, red wires, and black wires. The new light only had a 3 connecter box so i purchased one with more connectors and fitted all the wires back into what i thought was the correct slots. Apon turning the power back on the light comes on but does not turn off and the rest of the upstairs lights dont work. What have i done wrong!!

You've mixed up the feed in & switched live. I presume you labelled them all before disconnecting?

If not, do you have a multimeter?

Edit: Do you have equal numbers of black/blue and red/brown wires? If so, one of the black/blue ones will almost certainly be part of the switch cable. You need to figure out which one's which, before re-energising, otherwise you'll be creating a short circuit.

Please help.......

Sounds like you have wired the loop into lights live amongst other possibilities.

You will need to identify the live loop, the neutral loop, the earth loop and the switch live (this one could be black (with red sleeving) or red.

Using the terminal strip you bought put the live loop into the first terminal, the neutral loop into the second terminal, the earth loop into the third terminal. The switch live goes into the fourth terminal.

Then connect between the switch live and the L at the lamp, the neutral loop and the N at the lamp and the earth loop and the earth at the lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back