Electrical Safety Certificate for Rental House

Glad all sorted, I am sure we are going to have loads of problems with landlord EICR, the idea was good, but the way is has been implemented leaves a lot to be desired. As it stands I can do an EICR on my own house and rent it out, and there is very little anyone can do if I decide to not do work unless it is clearly dangerous. Which was the case before the new law, so in real terms the law has done nothing.

I know with my own house, getting tradesman to do repairs is not easy, and some repairs have taken months, either waiting for materials or weather, but the 28 days to get faults fixed will not work, when I wanted my mothers house rewiring, I wanted it done fast, as she had to live in a care home at £550 a week while it was being done. From deciding it needed doing to being finished was around 10 weeks, we started while she was in hospital, and the first few weeks were paid for in care home by social services, I did manage to get it all completed before I had to start paying, however it was tight.

The building of a wet room over ran, again selected to be done while mother was in hospital, it was 6 weeks after she had returned when completed, but we could manage with her at home while work going on.

It seems the council can grant an extension, but the new law seems to say the person who does the EICR must be able to do the repairs, so can see a lot of money being spend out to get work completed on time, and rental prices raising as a result.

I agree with Welsh government on this when they said there is already a shortage of rented accommodation, they were not going to require an EICR except for multi occupation as it could cause more homelessness.

Sponsored Links
Hi ericmark,

I can quite understand all your frustrations mentioned. Not quite the same, my partner died 18 months ago and I have had to put up with his relatives not seen for 25 years preventing probate, dodgy solicitors just helping themselves to money from the estate and taking their time, dodgy agents, (one agent told me I needed a fire door in the kitchen as it was multi occupancy, a 2 bed house with just one tenant and her son!) it just went on and on. I keep batting these people back and because of the lock downs it has been really difficult getting essential work done before renting. But, I have found a few necessary trades people that I can now rely on and I feel confident with. The house is now up to a good standard, I know the tenant who has a good rental record and so far I haven't had a heart attack which is a bonus. It is so helpful having people on this site to have input. So, as they say, onwards and upwards. Thank you so much again, kind regards Dibs x

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back