Electrical safety in rental property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I was wondering if someone can help me with some queries that I have.

I rented out my house approx 8months ago with an estate agent. Prior to this we had a new combi boiler system installed for which a safety cert was obtained. We also had a electrical safety cert from a local electrician.

Recently the tenant has complained about some electrical problems in the house, and the agent sent in their own electrician to check out the problems. He identified a number of issues that he said negates the safety cert, they are:-
1. The copper pipe bonding for the mains gas in, is not accessible. I boxed it out during plastering.
2. The light above the mirror needs to have a shaver point. The light above the mirror is just a bathroom light with the correct zone classification for being above a sink in the bathroom.
3. There were another couple of issues but I believe these to be minor ones.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
1) What problems did the tenant identify?

2) What was the cert from the local spark called (eg Periodic Inspection Report)

3) What was the cert from the agent's spark called, and what does it actually say (you do have a copy?)

4) Did you ask the agent to send their own spark in, and are they charging you for it?

1) The Gas bond needs to be accessible so that is a defect alright (I hope it wasn't the plumber who boxed it in because they should know better re: gas bonding)

2) "The light above the mirror needs to have a shaver point." Pish. But what does the cert actually say?

3) Do tell?

You have a responsibility to ensure the flat electrics and equipment you provide is safe. There is no requirement for a certificate for this, it just covers your bum in case the worst happens. What is the agent telling you?

1. The connection should be accessible for future inspections, however the fact it is concealed doesn't make the installation unsafe in any way.
If it is just covered with plasterboard, it is a simple matter to cut an access hole and fit a small removable panel for future use.

2. A shaver point has nothing to do with safety, these items are not required and quite frankly are useless anyway, since there is very little which can be plugged into them.

Sponsored Links
1. The connection should be accessible for future inspections, however the fact it is concealed doesn't make the installation unsafe in any way.

It does if it's not there!

In my book, if you can't clap eyes on it, you can't verify the existence of a PEB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back