electrical sensation in John Lewis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have various brushed aluminium surfaces in my flat: an oven, a hob, a metal angle poise lamp, a stereo and some lightswitches. If I brush my fingers very gently along the metal there is a strange vibrating sensation that is only apparent when I move my finger. If I keep moving my finger the sensation continues.

This sensation disappears if I turn of the power to these items.

I just visited House of Fraser and John Lewis and a lot of their brushed aluminium lights and stereos with aluminium fronts also do this.

I went into Ryness who are an electrical supplier and some of their lights also do it.

I am therefore assuming that this can't be a problem with my house as these shops must have to be very strictly tested.

Can anybody explain what this sensation is? Static? Something to do with double insulating?

Sponsored Links
I've felt this sensation too. I tested the circuit and the fittings were fine. My conclusion was that the finish on switch plates were such that they gave the sensation of vibration only when you move your finger. When you stop moving your finger you don't get the sensation anymore, therefore it must be the finish on the switch. Don't know if this true but I've convinced myself !!

most likely static. as for vibration, extremely unlikely

Thanks for replying Johnny101. The sensation disappears if you unplug the equipment though? Can't just be the material. Must have something to do with electricity.

Sponsored Links
If it's class 1 kit, it can be due to circulating network currents which present a PD between exposed earthed metal and the 'good old mother earth'.

Rare to experience it to this level though (meaning so many properties...)

I expect some people are more sensitive to it that others.

I know of a bloke who comes back from surfing everyday, and turns on the garden tap to hose him and his board down before entering the house. He nearly always gets a shock from the tap, and as he is bare footed on grass, I guess it doesnt help! The tap is bonded, as it is tee'ed in copper from the rising main, which of course is bonded to the MET, and as the supply is PME, the potential exists.

We have advised that an insulating section of pipe should be installed in the copper pipework to the tap - thats all we can do.

Lectrician said:
If it's class 1 kit, it can be due to circulating network currents which present a PD between exposed earthed metal and the 'good old mother earth'.

Rare to experience it to this level though (meaning so many properties...)

I expect some people are more sensitive to it that others.

I too experience this quite often, doesn't matter where, it's never confined to one place. It doesn't help that I now have to touch test every brushed aluminium/Stainless Steel electrical appliance. I even experienced it in some equipment rooms at a Pharmaceutical plant that had just been tested, certified and handed over to the owner (loads of stainless steel in those places).

So that's two of lifes mysteries solved for me this year, the other being the answer to what causes hic ups.

A bit confused on this and not sure I fully understand your explanation Lectrician. Does it not imply that if there was a fault and the metal parts became live they would also go through me and not to the earth provided, or am I missing the point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back