Dangerous Electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I was moving items about in my bedroom cupboard, which happens to hold the electricity meter.

A suitcase I was moving brushed against a component of the meter, and the electricity for the house very briefly went off (1 second.) There was also a slight 'electrical arcing sound' from the component. I am not sure what the component is - it has a metal wire seal on it, and of course warning sticker along the lines of 'do not open.'

meter.png

I have attached a photo of an installation I found on the internet, with a red arrow pointing out what I believe is the component in question.

Is the above potentially dangerous, and should I get it checked out asap?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's the main fuse, and if loose is a serious hazard.
Call 105 now, it will be repaired/replaced free of charge.

OK will call them now - thanks for the replies.

[EDIT] Called them, no idea when they will turn up. Said if nobody appears within 2 hours to phone them back. :(

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Phone 105 and inform them that you have a flickering supply and an arcing sound coming from the service head. When the engineer turns up, explain to him what’s what. Don’t bother explaining in detail to the call centre.

What area are you in? Hoping my phone doesn’t ring right now

Last edited:
@Screech20. I am in Scotland, and use Scottish Power. No idea what there response time is. Fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later!

EDIT - It's been sorted. :D

Last edited:
@333rocky333 It was the main fuse had become loose after being knocked by a suitcase. The engineer said a relatively common callout, and he sees a few each week.

I don't know how potentially dangerous it could have been, but anyway, better safe than sorry!

Now that's fixed can you also fix the meter cupboard?
Where is the door that's supposed to go on it?

Had the door been on you would not have had this problem.
IF that is the door on the right then how the heck did you fit a suitcase in there?

I have seen many times where people, myself included, have not read the post fully, and have jumped to wrong conclusions. What is so good about this forum is there are so many people answering so if some thing is missed some one else finds it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back