Reducing size of electrical meter board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have read some previous posts which have given some good advice but I wanted to check my situation as not looking to move the electrical meter board. instead I would like to reduce the size of the board, cutting off the right-hand half of the board keeping everything else in situ.
Hopefully image has attached- want to cut it down up to where the green tape is, keeping some height.
Is this possible? Do I need to DNO to do it (SSE)? Would an electrician need to do it? What other concerns/considerations should I have?
The reason for this is a washing machine is going to be fitted in to the right of this and I would like to box in all of the electrical components to provide some sort of protection, and allow a worktop to be placed above the machine and cupboard.
Many thanks

Attachments

• 724F2673-063A-4528-AF1C-418F635385B3.jpeg
    724F2673-063A-4528-AF1C-418F635385B3.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
It is an apartment the meter is approx 80m away in communal services cupboard below…

It is an apartment the meter is approx 80m away in communal services cupboard below…

OK I thought that was the case but good to have confirmation there was a meter.

I would ask the DNO for advice, they may not be ( or want to be ) responsible for anything downstream from the meter.

Sponsored Links
Thank you @bernardgreen.
There is a sign on the board saying it is the property of the operator.
However if the dno don’t want to be responsible who might be- energy provider or does it go into a grey area? Thank you

It is a grey area, GF who appear to have installed the GF may be able to advise.

If the board is disturbed then in the interests of safety the incoming supply ( the cable up from the floor ) should be isolated at the meter.

... The reason for this is a washing machine is going to be fitted in to the right of this and I would like to box in all of the electrical components to provide some sort of protection, and allow a worktop to be placed above the machine and cupboard.
Is there some reason why you can't (or don't want to) build the boxing over/around the board, as it is (if you understand what I'm trying to say!)?

Kind Regards, John

Presumeably you have an isolator/fuse near the meter. Personally I'd turn that off Leave the screws holding it to the wall on the left (I see 3; top and bottom left and above the tails) in place and cut the board. Then re-use the original fixings, (including spacers behind) top and bottom right corners

BUT PLEASE, PLEASE CHECK BEHIND IT TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO CABLES or anything else IN THE WAY.

Depending on how pesparate you are for space, a half decent sparks should be able to do something like this:
upload_2021-10-31_22-11-0.png

JohnW2 said:
Is there some reason why you can't (or don't want to) build the boxing over/around the board, as it is (if you understand what I'm trying to say!)?
A fair question- I actually want to try snd create some space/buffer between the machine and the fuse box- to try and protect it- but I suppose if that is unnecessary then I can rethink! Thanks!
Well, yes, it's not really necessary, but I'm a bit confused. Your consumer unit ('fuse box') is to the left of the incoming electrics, but I thought the washing machine was going on the right of it?

If I'm right about the WM, then provided only that the right had side of the cupboard you build is a sensible distance from the electrics, there could be as much gap between it and the WM as you wanted. ... but, as I said, I'm not sure where the consumer unit comes into this!

Kind Regards, John

Hi John it is me using wrong terminology- the fuse box is staying where it is- it was cutting down the backing board of the red device to provide more depth to the cupboard and also hopefully allow for some containment of the WM!
Thank you all for the advice- I’ll check with the dno to see if they are interested, but it sounds like it’s something that can be done with minimal issue with safety considerations taken on board! Thank you!

Indeed, and “fuse box” is wrong terminology for a consumer unit.
Hint. It has no fuses in it.
…adding no value again.

And, do you have X-ray vision? There could be any number of these inside that enclosure
7F66855A-FE57-4FFB-A773-D63B2E5DC54F.jpeg

which would make it a box with fuses inside, by definition a fuse box.

Last edited:
Indeed, and “fuse box” is wrong terminology for a consumer unit.
Hint. It has no fuses in it.

Unbelievably, there is currently a 6 page thread on this forum (started by you) about this kind of pedantry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back