Faulty electrical meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully I can get some advice on if my electricity meter has a problem or not. Currently my electricity meter makes a low-frequency humming / rumbling sound as the counter disc rotates under the numerical readout. Sometimes it's quite loud but at other times it makes next to no noise at all and it doesn't seem to depend on the amount of electricity that I'm using. The meter in the cupboard under the stairs and is sealed by wirelocks, presumably from the electricy board with a 'certified 1997' sticker on it. I know that I can't do anything to the meter but was wondering if this was normal or if I should get an engineer from the electricty board to come and have a look at it. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Their call centre says an engineer would have to come and have a look and as I'm in the Scottish Highlands it'd be subject to a call out fee, and they can't give me details of that as it depends on which contractor they'd send. Got to love npower!

Do any of the cables to it look heat damaged or does the meter itself or the cables near the meter feel warm (gradually feeling cooler as you move away from the meter) ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks ricicle, I've spoken to the electricity board again who've said they will send someone out to look at it and repair or replace if required at no cost to me as it's their equipment. There's no heat, burning smells, damaged wiring that I can see or anything out of the ordinary apart from the humming which makes me think a bearing may be on it's way out. Thanks again for your time! :D

You should have tried telling them it wasnt spinning or it was going backwards...they would have been round in a flash..(no pun intended)

My meter makes a slight "buzzing" sound, as you describe, it doesn't depend on how much electric is being used. Its always done it.

IMO nothing to worry about.

Out of interest, does your meter look anything like mine?

Lets all compare meters :LOL: You show me yours i'll show you mine lol

Hi Steve. Yes, the meter looks very similar, it's a GEC meter according to the label. The concern for me is the loudness of the rumbling and the fact that it's not a constant noise so npower are coming to check it out when they get round to it. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back