Electricity in the bath

The OP iis (claims to be?) female - "my husband and I" - and gets the shocks off the tiles as well as the edges of the bath. When I was a kid my parents moved housse and were redecorating, and my mum kept getting these same tingles off the wall when splashing on water to strip the old wallpaper. Turned out the house wasn't earthed. An electrician put in a spike and we were fine after that. This case, wind-up or not, sounds similar.

So, Whippet64, find out if your property is earthed at all - maybe you're up by now having posted your message just before midnight last night ....

PJ

Sponsored Links
Just about to say that!!

But, it could well be that there is no incoming earth to the property. Yorks, could be TT. Could easily be a bad earth on TN-S or TN-C-S.

Whippet...post a picture of your incoming supply cable where it terminates.

But, it could well be that there is no incoming earth to the property. Yorks, could be TT. Could easily be a bad earth on TN-S or TN-C-S.
That obviously could be true. However, on the face of it, I'm not sure that I necessarily understand how it, in itself, could/would result in the sort of 'shocks' reported by the OP. Indeed, on the contrary, given that a shock requires a pd between two things which are touched, it could be argued that the absence of any true earth within the property might well reduce the chances of such shocks occurring. The absence of bonding (which obviously exists to prevent those pds existing) could be a different matter,particularly if it is not a TT installation.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There were recently on two other forums threads by the same poster, an electrician, who could not figure out why there was voltage from the water in the tray of a shower, but only when it was draining.

Unfortunately there was no conclusion as to the cause.

Whippet64, where abouts in Yorkshire are you? I bet I can cure this fault for you.

This sort of thing is nearly always a dodgy earth to the premises, or a TT with faulty RCD or defective voltage operated ELCB.

This coupled with an L to E fault of some kind. The earth and bonding then rises in potential.

Can also be the shower or shower riser rail fixings nicking a cable in the wall etc.

So many things it could be.

Guys give me time to respond! Some people unfortunately have to work on a Sunday.

The house was built in the 1950s as a council house. I was assured the water mains were earthed. I will take some pictures for you. We had an electrical report done on the house before moving in, the only thing that needed a change was that the fuse box isn't up to date.

And I am in York.

This sort of thing is nearly always a dodgy earth to the premises, or a TT with faulty RCD or defective voltage operated ELCB. ... This coupled with an L to E fault of some kind. The earth and bonding then rises in potential.
I can believe that but, as I said, if (as was being suggested) there was no earth in the installation, although 'earth and bonding would rise in potential', what would this 'rise in potential' be relative to within the premises? Are you perhaps just talking about capacitive coupling of a person to true earth, or maybe the infamous 'dsmp floors' etc?

Kind Regards, John

If you really can't find a competent electrician, which it sounds like you haven't so far, I'll come to York and sort it.

If you really can't find a competent electrician, which it sounds like you haven't so far, I'll come to York and sort it.

Whippet64, I would seriously consider this offer. Perhaps send RF a personal message. He is a real electrician, and highly regarded on this forum.

And don't use that bath until the problem is definitely rectified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back