Shock if I touch either bath tap and plug hole together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could shed light on this.

All of a sudden yesterday I was standing in the shower and got a damn good belt (shock) when I went to change the water temperature with the mixer. To rule out static I obviously had another go at touching the mixer nob and got another good tingling shock. The shower is non-electric and relies on water pressure. I found the problem to be, if I touch the bath plug hole and either bath tap or plug hole and the shower mixer I get a decent shock. If I set a digital multimeter to AC and take a reading between the bath taps and the plug hole I get a reading of 200v.

Other than calling someone out, is there anything blatantly obvious that I could check for that could have fallen off, like an earth connection somewhere?

Regards,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Check that the main earth connection between the supply head and Consumer Unit/Main Earth Terminal is secure. Check main bonding between CU/MET are continuous, and do the same for any supplementary bonding in the bathroom.

To receive a shock of this nature I would suspect a fairly serious fault with the installation. That isn't so say it might not be an easy fix, but these sort of things are usually caused by a lack of earth connection and then a second insulation fault putting a current (and thus voltage) onto the protective conductors of the installation.

For your own peace of mind if nothing else, I would recommend not using the shower again until you call an electrician!

In the time-being, can you see any green and yellow wire ends loose under the bath, or behind the mixer if you can get to it? Can you see any similarly loose wires at the mains intake position (near the meter) or inside the consumer unit (if you feel capable of opening this up - its still LIVE when you turn off the main switch)

Wow, firstly thank you for such quick responses!

I've had the bath panel off and can't see anything remotely like an earth anywhere. The shower is just a small mira mixer unit that is plastered into the wall, the pipes from this travel underneath the bath and connect at the bath taps. The only thing that feels a bit fishy is that EON sent out someone to service the combi boiler as it was due its first service, this has been in and happily working for a good few years now. It just seems a bit odd that that both water pipes now seem to be somewhat live. After calling EON, they decided it can't possibly be anything that they've done. Luckily my dad is friends with the guy that wired these houses from when they were new builds so hopefully he'll be able to help a bit more!

Sponsored Links
fOR THE SAFETY OF EVERYBODY IN THE pROPERTY

Get that problem investigated by a fully qualified Electrician IMMEDIATELY

fOR THE SAFETY OF EVERYBODY IN THE pROPERTY

Get that problem investigated by a fully qualified Electrician IMMEDIATELY

oTHerWise i wIlL gO caPS loCk cRaZy :D

But seriously get a spark out, pref a recommended one, this is a dodgy one to DIY

Martin

E-ON are right, the supply company has no remit to supply an earth, thats up to the consumer (ESQCR/CENELEC regs).

But as everyone else says get it checked professionally, I would not use the bath till its sorted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back