Unsatisfactory work

Thank you John.... When electrician measured the voltage between the appliances it read 230 volts..would that not trip the RCD.
It's not the voltage which matters - it's the current that passes through a person who was simultaneously touching the appliances that would trip an RCD. A domestic RCD will trip with a current between 15 mA and 30 mA. However, even a 15 mA electric shock is a pretty serious one (in terms of 'how it feels') - so if your son only experienced what are usually called 'tingles', it would probably have been considerably less than that.

Can you give us a rough idea of what your son experienced?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
However, even a 15 mA electric shock is a pretty serious one (in terms of 'how it feels')

I seem to recall that 15mA are enough to stop a heart. I definitely would not want to try it regardless how "safe" it may be deemed to be.

I seem to recall that 15mA are enough to stop a heart. I definitely would not want to try it regardless how "safe" it may be deemed to be.
Even 1 mA is enough to stop the heart in some people. However, for most people it takes more than 30 mA - hence the requirement for 30 mA RCDs.

You are perhaps making the same point that I did to susi1 - that a shock which someone survived which involved sufficient current to trip an RCD would be perceived by the victim as being 'a very severe shock' - which is in a different ballpark from what people often feel when touching non-earthed appliances (which is often just 'unpleasant', as well as frightening).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Time is a factor as well.
You mean the duration of the shock? If so, then, indeed, very much so.

In fact, many/most of the physiological effects of electric shock are roughly proportional to energy (i.e. the product of power and duration, power being I²R or E²/R) - hence, with all other things being equal, proportional to the duration of the shock. That is, for example, why the (selectable) magnitude of the 'shock' given by a defibrillator is expressed in Joules (i.e. Watts x seconds), not voltage or current.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back