HELP - Electrical Fault - The case on my DVD & VCR are l

Hi Mike.

Okay thanks. The electrican did his own tests and agreed with me that the casings of the appliances were live. He was as surprised as I was that this was the case, but unfortunately had not come across this before and he was unsure how to proceed.

I have just posted some results from the wall socket, hoping someone can tell me if these results are correct or not.

Thanks for your input so far.

Sponsored Links
Bell said:
I can't answer that one as I don't have one of those screwdrivers.

However, the voltage on the case of the appliances is definitely live and when touched you do get a mild shock.

Get a 100 kilo ohm resistor and connect it between the "live" case and earth. Measure the voltage between case and earth with the resistor connected, then disconnect the resistor and measure the voltage. If you find the voltage is lower with the resistor connected then the "live" voltage is capacitive coupled and is not going to present any hazard. If teh voltage remains the with and without the resistor then you may have a fault in that unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back