HELP - Electrical Fault - The case on my DVD & VCR are l

well in that case you have answered your own qquestion.

we know there is no earth.

we know there is voltage present with no coax connected.

it has to be the dvd and vcr since there is nothing else, looks like you may have a leaking capacitor.

you may have not noticed it before because you were not earthed, but now you are

Sponsored Links
Hello Mike.

Yes, the voltage is tangible alright. When its sat at 60V it gives a very unpleasant feeling up your arm.

Is it possible that the house wiring could be damaged in some way or incorrectly wired to cause this leakage.

Thanks.

Hi, please be aware that domestic wiring is not my field. I was just relating what i found when i fixed TVs and all that stuff, but that was 16 years ago now!

Regarding the damp floor, that is only relevant if the current flows through YOU. It is not the cause of the problem, it just makes you aware of the problem.

Sponsored Links
Breezer.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I really am not sure, but thanks.

Mike,

I have tried a different DVD player (from my sons room) on this socket and I get the same readings.

Bell, try a different TV cos as i see it that is the only possibility of getting mains leakage into the coax.

Mike.

Just to confirm. I have no mains leakage into the coax.

Presently, if I simply plug the TV, DVD player or the VCR into the wall socket, I get a reading of between 15 and 60V ac, which varies on all of these appliances. This reading is with the aerial coax disconnected.

I will try plugging in a different TV now and get back to you with the result. Thanks

surely it could be propgating through the SCART cables between the TV, video and DVD. Initial fault might be on any of them (if not coming from the co-ax)

try the obvious.

plug it in some where else i.e differnt room

never mind the coax, since we know you get the voltage with out it

Hello John D.

I did think of whether one appliance might be faulty and the leakage affecting others via the scart leads, but I have disconnected the scart leads between all the appliances and the readings still remain.

Any ideas - thanks.

Mike.

I have tried a different TV plugged into the same socket and still get a reading - 32V ac on this occasion !!! I am not sure and can't understand why the voltage is varying.

Breezer.

I have tried my main TV and a portable TV from upstairs and plugged them into a socket in the kitchen.

Both appliances gave a reading aroung 43V ac.

I am starting to think that there is something quirky about the wiring in this house. I know the property was rewired recently, much of the wiring has been routed outside the house and back in again, all fitted inside conduit/trunking. Is it possible that any water entering the conduit outside might cause these symptons I am having.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back