HELP - Electrical Fault - The case on my DVD & VCR are l

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Just moved into a new home and when connecting the DVD player and VCR noticed that I was getting a small electric shock. At the time just thought it was static electricity, but touched the case of the DVD player a few days later and felt an unpleasant sensation up my arm, I guess it was a mild electric shock.

Decided to put a multimeter from earth to the chassis of the DVD player and it registered 15V AC, tried again later and it registered 62V AC. Similar readings were registered on the VCR. Both DVD and VCR were fine before I moved. Called an Electrician who checked the socket and confirmed all was well, he also confirmed that my reading of 62V AC was correct on the appliances but had no idea how this could be happening.

Contacted the electricity board who checked the supply into the property and confirmed all was safe and well.

To summarize, the case of my DVd and VCR are permanently live, although the voltage is variable, usually between 15 and 60V ac. I assume this could be potentially dangerous but have no idea how this has occurred. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
didnt drop siad items did you?

since it is only they that give you a problem *assuming you have tried something else in the same socket) it must be them

Hello. Neither items have been dropped and I have disconnected the antenna to the appliances.

I don't have any type of booster. The DVD/VCR is connected to a conventional analogue antenna on the outside of the house, but the readings I have are with the antenna coax disconnected.

I am convinced its not the appliances, both DVD and VCR were carried in my car during the move and packed carefully.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
i fixed TVs for several years and i also noticed that in some houses you could get this voltage on the outer core of the coax. Never did get to the bottom of it BUT i had a theory that it could be mains leakage through the capacitors that connect between the TV chassis and the aerial socket. In those days TVs had a live chassis which wasnt normally a shock hazard BUT could give you a tingle if for example the floor was damp.

It does seem to be quite common with AV kit I find, I've also understood thats its down to filtering caps in the equipment, though why thy don't use three core cable and connect anything like that to ground, I don't know

When they have metal cases, is there any reason why the case shouldn't be earthed?

Hello Mike.

Thats interesting. When we moved in the ,ounge had an awful smell of urine (dogs). I lifted the carpet and the underlay was socked with dog wee. So I have subsequently replaced it. This wet patch is directly in front of the TV cabinet - so your point my be relevant in this case. TV itself is only 12 months old.

Would like to find a solution as I have young children and would hate for any accidents, woriied that this leakage my increase in voltage.

do you still get this voltage with coax un plugged?

if yes then it has to be said items, since there is nothing else connected

though why thy don't use three core cable and connect anything like that to ground, I don't know

Adam, i remember that "earth" and "tv" never mixed! In fact TVs only had a 2 core supply cable (no earth). It may be different now that all power supplies are switch mode and not transformed, therefore fully isolated from the supply. I dont know - its not my area anymore.

Unless they're DI...

And if you earth the casings, you'll have a permanent trickle!

Hello Adam 151.

Yes, both appliances only have two core cable, although the electrician told me they should be double insulated.

Is it possible for me to to earth the appliances and if so, whats the best way of doing it.

Thanks.

i wouldnt do that.

if they were meant to have an earth they would have.

it will cause you more grief.

but do you still get this voltage if coax is unplugged?

i also remember that this is a real tangible voltage and you can draw a small spark if you dab the "live" part onto earth.

Hello breezer.

Yes, the voltage is present with the coax unplugged.

However, I am reluctant to believe that both the DVD player and the VCR are faulty. I also get a reading of 25V AC on the TV. I never experienced any of this before moving.

Should also mention that the property was completely rewired about 12 months ago.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back