Electrical Term Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrician quote covers '60 points'.

He says that anything above 60 points will come at an additional cost of £45 per point.

Our house is being rewired and loft conversion is being undertaken

Could a sparky please confirm exactly what he means by 'point?'

and yes, I could have asked him, but I didn't want to look dim not knowing seemingly basic terminology :D

Sponsored Links
For me it was sockets, ceiling rise, etc.
So when I said I want an extra socket 'just there' it cost me an extra £50 for each.

However, always always best to discuss terms and conditions at the very start - if done at the end it results in anger, bitterness and regret.

Last edited:
would imagine up to 60 cable terminations - i.e. each switch, socket, light fittings, consumer unit.

Is 60points enough for you?
Remember you need at least 4 power points per room, and then also light switch, smoke alarm, ceiling rose. (That's a starter of 7 just for one room).
And include hallways.
And outside lights and sockets.
And lots and lots in kitchen.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
BS7671 defined a point as "A termination of the fixed wiring intended for the connection of current-using equipment."

So that would cover sockets, lighting positions, connection points for fixed appliances and so-on but not light switches and similar.

I would still ask your electrician for clarification though, I have heard of some electricians counting a double socket as 2 points, even though there is only one termination of the fixed wiring.

For speed I got a firm in to rewire my late mothers house. We agreed on where sockets would be fitted, which took into consideration papered walls, it is near impossible to make good a papered wall, so sockets were not fitted to papered wall.

Also back to back sockets, again means just one drop for two rooms.

There were one or two deviations from the agreed plan, I said all sockets to be on a final ring, which would allow me to extend from them, but found there were one or two spurs. Also agreed either in corner of room or buried, he sneaked in one horizontal run hidden behind a wardrobe.

But normally has to be some give and take.

Back in 1979 when we bought a new house, extra sockets were £25 each.

Be very aware if 'points' includes recessed downlighters. I would hope not.
So I spoke to the electrician and he says that 1 downlight = 1 point

In fact every switch, socket, feed from lighting circuit for bathroom mirrors, shaving socket, each interconnected smoke alarm, TV point, each CCTV camera, power for boiler, thermostat, mechanical vent switch = 1 point each

Saying that my face is set to stunned is an understatement :D

Is 60points enough for you?
It's definitely won't be

Thanks for the heads up regarding the number of point in a kitchen

See how many points you actually need and get an agreement and price based on those numbers then.

Agree with what mattylad says.

Just to add to your points, I also have a light and a double socket in every under stairs cupboard.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back