Cooker electrics query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had the whole house rewired. The certificate I got when all was done and tested says in the column marked overcurrent protected devices that I have MCB type B 32A circuit for the cooker. This may sound dumb to those of you in the know, but I was expecting to see a blanked point behind the cooker for wiring an electric cooker in. Instead I have a 3 pin plug socket. Can an electric cooker be wired in there or not? It makes no difference to me as I use gas but Im curious! Could I use this socket for an extractor fan above the cooker or when the electrician comes would he have to create a complete new circuit for this?

Jo

Sponsored Links
It depends on the rating for the cooker. in the unlikely event of it being less than 3KW then you just use a 13A plug. My SMEG cooker is like that This has a single fan oven (2.8KW) and gas rings on top.

If you go for a meatier ccoker then the single socket would need to be changed for a cooker connection point.

Impossible to comment on the extractor fan feed - did one not get fitted as part of the rewire?

I have installed a single socket instead of a cooker connection unit behind a cooker before, nothing wrong with that if its only going to be used to power up the clock/ignitors on a gas appliance.

DO, however, check with the installing electrician before doing anything other though, he/she will be able to best advise you.

See if the socket goes on and off when you turn the cooker switch on and off. plug a light into it to test.

Its perfectly legit to put a plug there, you could plug an electric oven in, or the gas ignition. Its effectively a 32 amp radial circuit with an isolator.

However, your electrician may choose to take a spur from the socket circuit, since taking the power from the socket below could pose issues in future should someone wish to install an electric cooking appliance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I wont be fitting an electric cooker as I prefer gas! I didnt have a cooker hood fitted at the time of the rewire as the kitchen is still yet to be done. We bought a house in need of total refurbishment. We had to install a bathroom as the existing one wasnt fit for human use and I have done the kids bedrooms so that they have somewhere decent to sleep. The kitchen is next on the list. I always use qualified people to deal with the gas and electrics as I value my family's lives more than money and besides, electrics and gas scare me! lol

Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back