Electrical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a cu in a garage it has a 100ma mains switch with 2 16a breakers for 1 socket each on a radial and 2 6a breakers for lights and heating, so wat I wnt to no is I was going to 2 change 1 16a breaker 2 a ring circuit and have 2 fused spurs feeding 2 single sockets for a washing machine and tumble dryer would that be OK on a 16a breaker or will I changer it to a 32a breaker.

Sponsored Links
In no particualar order:

No point having a ring on a 16A breaker.
By the sounds of it, two 16A radials would be more suited and use no more copper
What is the supply fused at to this board?
Any new socket outlets must be protected by a 30mA RCD, its not clear why the 100mA was fitted.
Pictures of garage board, and house mains would probably help

The 100mA is a main switch not an RCD.
Maybe he has an RCD at source in the house.

You don't need fused spurs feeding single sockets. The appliance plugs will have fuses in them.

Hi all, I have a cu in a garage it has a 100ma mains switch with 2 16a breakers for 1 socket each on a radial and 2 6a breakers for lights and heating, so wat I wnt to no is I was going to 2 change 1 16a breaker 2 a ring circuit and have 2 fused spurs feeding 2 single sockets for a washing machine and tumble dryer would that be OK on a 16a breaker or will I changer it to a 32a breaker.

Sponsored Links
In no particualar order:

By the sounds of it, two 16A radials would be more suited and use no more copper
Any new socket outlets must be protected by a 30mA RCD, its not clear why the 100mA was fitted.

Sorry my mistake has a 100a mains switch at the garage cu, at house cu supplying the garage is protected by a rcd.

In no particualar order:

20220520_150111.jpg

I have in the past used what was in my stock and used even ELCB-v as an isolator, so maybe the 100 mA is only being used as an isolator, but pictures are good, house and garage consumer unit.

I was only adding to fused spurs in so u can turn them of and on above the machines

House has 100a all protected by rcd so it's ok just to add a couple more sockets on the radial for a washing and tumble dryer.

In theory is an installation has in the past followed the regulations you can't overload any cable, with the exception of a ring final where you can in theory overload at the ends, but in practice unlikely.

So in theory it is only when regulations change, requiring for example RCD protection when you are stopped from adding to a circuit.

In practice however people do break the rules, so telling some one you can do something without seeing the installation first can cause problems, and as yet we have not seen the house consumer unit, so we are not sure if it complies, and since you got mA and A mixed up, we are not sure what you have from your description.

Picture of house CU will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back