Extra Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present I have 4 radial circuits in my 2 bedroomed flat, each have 2 double sockets running from them and each radial has a 16A breaker. If I was to increase the amount of sockets so that each radial would have 4 double sockets, will I have to upgrade the breakers from 16A?

Sponsored Links
Assuming the cable size is 2.5mm², you can have as many sockets as you like providing the EFL reading is not excessive at the circuit destination, and the coverage for each circuit does not exceed 50m².

And you can up the breakers to 20A.

Earth Fault Loop. It is one of the test measurements that is taken.
If the results are inside the limits for the circuit it will ensure that the fuse/contact breaker will trip quickly enough in the event of an earth fault occuring.

Sponsored Links
Assuming all of your circuits are electrically sound and your cable is 2.5mm, at present you can have a maximun of 3680 watts on a 16A CB (230v x 16A). A 2.5mm cable is rated at 27A (assuming there is no need to re-rate the cable due to correction factors). Therefore as stated by previous posting you can have a 20A CB which will give you a maximum of 4600 watts (230v x 20A).

Changing the CB would be a cheap and non-messy alteration to your electrics. Whether this is enough power for your needs only you can answer.

However, If you need more power then change the radial circuit into a ring final circuit, change the CB to 32A and you can have 7200 watts of power (evenly distributed around the ring of course)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back