Electrician inspection after consumer unit got wet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The consumer unit in my daughter's flat has had water dripping all over it due to a pipe leak in the flat above. The leak has been stopped and things are now drying out.

Before my daughter returns to the flat I want to be sure that the electrics are safe. The flat is rented, the problem has been reported to the agency who look after the flat. They (the agency) sent a chap around to the flat who advised my daughter that "it was all fine". However, when she asked the agency if this chap was a qualified electrician they said no. This slightly worries me.

I assume that following a good soaking, the electrics need to be inspected and tested before they can be deemed to be safe? Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Sponsored Links
I have been to a similar situation. The very least you need is a visual inspection and an IR test by a qualified spark, surely?
After all, if water has leaked onto the CU, chances are it has got elsewhere too.

How wet did it get? MCBs are not waterproof, and if water gets into them it could take a while to go, and they could well look dry on the outside.

It should be looked at by someone who knows what they're doing - the landlord has a duty of care, and it doesn't sound as if he is discharging it.

Your best bet is to ask the agent/landlord for written confirmation of that conversation, on letterhead with the name and job title of the 'inspector'. Tell them your contents insurer has asked for it if they query it.
If all is ok then happy days, if not you've got evidence.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Securespark & Ban-all-sheds.

Regarding the question of "how wet", I'm not sure. When I asked my daughter she said "water dripping directly onto the fuse board". I'm waiting for some pictures of the consumer unit to be sent to me but by the time they're taken it may be a bit late to see any water. However it will at least give me some idea of the type and quality of the installation and if water pouring on top would easily get inside or not. Of course, even if it looks well sealed up that doesn't mean that the water didn't get in.

I'm going to ask the letting agent to get the installation checked by a qualified sparky.

Regards

Unless the water leaked directly onto the CU and no other parts of the installation (switches, junction boxes under floors etc...) there could be more to look at than just the CU.

At my work, the next foor unit caught fire, which spread a bit to one of the units I rent.

The fire brigade used 2 hoses to pump water to the flames on the roof, directly below was the 3 phase distribution board, water streamed down over it.

I did get to turn off the main switch in the board first, which have helped the mcbs and the board from shorting.

I thought I would have to buy a new board and mcbs but after drying them out for a week and putting it back together, its been fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back