Noisy consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter moved into an apartment a few days ago and has been troubled by very loud buzzing/banging noises at random times. The landlord sent a plumber round thinking it may be the boiler or pipework, but he couldn't find any problems.

My daughters been doing some googling and found youtube videos with similar noises coming from the consumer unit. She thinks the noises are in the area where the consumer unit is located.

She has contacted the landlord again hoping he will arrange an electrician to visit.

Is there anything in the cu that could cause these quite loud noises?

Sponsored Links
Is there anything in the cu that could cause these quite loud noises?

Bussing noise can be generated by faults in a consumer unit.

Loose connections can create buzzing noises, MCBs can "buzz" when the current through them is close to the tripping point.

Both these need urgent investigation as they could be a fire risk.

Could also be a noisy door bell transformer in the consumer unit.

There is nothing in a normal consumer unit that could create "banging" noises.

Sponsored Links
My electric meter (with a rotating display), clicks over quite noisily, especially when it reaches a 1000, or 10000; with 5, or 6 segments rotating around together!
This also resonates within the cabinet; creating quite a cochophany, if you are in the hallway at the time! :)

My vote for buzzing is doorbell transformer, however...

Contactors clunk/bang and buzz.

After 'interrogating' my daughter, it seems that the bang only occurs at 2.30 am every day, so would seem to be timer related. The plumber checked that there were no heating settings to cause this.

There are no storage heaters no electrical items with a timer.

Problem is that when the noise has woken her up, its gone and no way of identifying where it came from. I guess she may have to stay up late one night.

After 'interrogating' my daughter, it seems that the bang only occurs at 2.30 am every day, so would seem to be timer related. The plumber checked that there were no heating settings to cause this.

There are no storage heaters no electrical items with a timer.

Problem is that when the noise has woken her up, its gone and no way of identifying where it came from. I guess she may have to stay up late one night.
I'm thinking she may have E7 tariff as Crystal ball mentioned and the contactor is switching over a bit late. A picture of her 'electrics' will help
This typical of E7:
upload_2022-5-15_20-45-19.png
The orange arrowed device and its associated wiring being the additional item to a 'standard installation.

This typical of E7: ...
With modern electronic meters (like my {dumb} one) and, obviously, with 'smart' meters, E7 dual-tariff metering all happens within the meter, without any need for external time-switches or teleswitches.

The consumer may, of course, install their own time switches and contactors (e.g. to control storage heaters) in addition to what is required for dual-tariff (e.g. E7) metering if they do not have a ('5-terminal') meter which provides a switched output.

Kind Regards, John

The relevant thing here is that the OP hears a bang at the same time every day and this is typical of an E7 installation of a certain type. I know it's loud, I had one once.

The relevant thing here is that the OP hears a bang at the same time every day and this is typical of an E7 installation of a certain type. I know it's loud, I had one once.
All true, but we haven't yet established that it is a dual-tariff installation.

2:30am would not be far off for an E7 switchover time (maybe even 'as intended' by the supplier in question). Mine switches at 00:30 GMT throughout the year, so currently is switching at 01:30 BST.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
If its an apartment block there may be some landlords equipment you hear, external to the flat in a communal area, once had similar and it was a timer/ contactor interfaced with the door entry system to allow tradesmans access

All true, but we haven't yet established that it is a dual-tariff installation.

2:30am would not be far off for an E7 switchover time (maybe even 'as intended' by the supplier in question). Mine switches at 01:30 GMT throughout the year, so currently is switching at 01:30 BST.

Kind Regards, John
Indeed we haven't however a clunk/bang loud enough to wake her at the same time every day is classic of my photo And if it is not a teleswitch installation but a timeswitch version and the timeswitch has no allowance for daylight saving?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back