Noisy consumer unit?

Indeed we haven't however a clunk/bang loud enough to wake her at the same time every day is classic of my photo ...
Sure, it could be a very good explanation if it were applicable - but a bad one if it is not a dual-tariff installation :)
And if it is not a teleswitch installation but a timeswitch version and the timeswitch has no allowance for daylight saving?
Indeed so - as I said, although it's merely happening in the electronics, hence nothing to hear, my dumb electronic E7 meter switches at 00:30 GMT throughout the year, hence 01:30 BST at the moment - and, either due to erroneous setting or intent, that might become 02:30 with some suppliers.

At least historically (and it would surprise me if some are still in service) when I had an electromechanical switch (with clockwork backup) switching an electromechanical E7 meter, the clock made all sorts of noises, once every day, seemingly when it 'wound up' its clockwork mechanism - although I never really understood why, if it really was just a 'backup' mechanism, it needed to be repeatedly 'wound up'! It seemed to be behaving as if it was primarily clockwork, but 'wound up electrically' once per day.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sure, it could be a very good explanation if it were applicable - but a bad one if it is not a dual-tariff installation :)
Indeed so - as I said, although it's merely happening in the electronics, hence nothing to hear, my dumb electronic E7 meter switches at 00:30 GMT throughout the year, hence 01:30 BST at the moment - and, either due to erroneous setting or intent, that might become 02:30 with some suppliers.

At least historically (and it would surprise me if some are still in service) when I had an electromechanical switch (with clockwork backup) switching an electromechanical E7 meter, the clock made all sorts of noises, once every day, seemingly when it 'wound up' its clockwork mechanism - although I never really understood why, if it really was just a 'backup' mechanism, it needed to be repeatedly 'wound up'! It seemed to be behaving as if it was primarily clockwork, but 'wound up electrically' once per day.

Kind Regards, John
My MIL still has a mechanical time switch and it has drifted by several hours to her advantage, not particularly noisy though, depends on what the meter board is mounted on though.

:notworthy:
Indeed so - as I said, although it's merely happening in the electronics, hence nothing to hear,
Kind Regards, John
unless there is a contactor too.

Sponsored Links
She contacted the landlord and asked for an electrician ...... so they sent a plumber! He has turned the water supply off for 24 hours.

Oh well, it should at least confirm if its water or electrics.

when I had an electromechanical switch (with clockwork backup) switching an electromechanical E7 meter, the clock made all sorts of noises, once every day, seemingly when it 'wound up' its clockwork mechanism - although I never really understood why, if it really was just a 'backup' mechanism, it needed to be repeatedly 'wound up'! It seemed to be behaving as if it was primarily clockwork, but 'wound up electrically' once per day.

Kind Regards, John
They are usually kept constantly wound up, I wonder if the clutch was faulty.

She contacted the landlord and asked for an electrician ...... so they sent a plumber! He has turned the water supply off for 24 hours.

Oh well, it should at least confirm if its water or electrics.
757050.jpg

My daughter spoke to someone in a neighbouring apartment who said they had a similar problem. It was sorted by an electrician and was something to do with a relay in the consumer unit.

... unless there is a contactor too.
Sure - but, as I said, in my case it is simply 'electronic switching', with no contactor. The only 'switched load' I have is my immersion (since I don't have storage heaters) and that is switched by a little timeswitch which is very quiet, not audible unless one is very close.

Kind Regards, John

They are usually kept constantly wound up, I wonder if the clutch was faulty.
Dunno - as I said, I didn't really understand. I had it for a good few years, and it always kept good time, but it went through this 'noisy exercise' (which did sound credible as 'winding it up' every (or virtually every) day, always around midday.

However, on reflection (now!), I suppose that, without being appreciably more complicated (hence presumably more expensive), I suppose that the only way in which the device can make sure that it stays wound up by trying to wind it up every day - which would explain what we experienced/heard.

Kind Regards, John

My daughter spoke to someone in a neighbouring apartment who said they had a similar problem. It was sorted by an electrician and was something to do with a relay in the consumer unit.
Some blocks of flats had Economy 7 time switches in the meter room which switched a contactor in the consumer unit, maybe the heaters are long gone but the control remains.

Problem solved.

The electrician arrived and immediately diagnosed a "chattering contactor".

It seems the apartments had storage heaters originally and the contactor was used to switch to economy electricity.

Not sure if he replaced or removed the contactor, but hopefully it should be a quiet night for my daughter tonight.

Thanks for all your replies and advice.

Thanks for the update, it did seem to be the most likely reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back