Electrician wants to charge me to see his insurance details?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used my builder to ask for a job. A shower over my bath. And the only bloke that replied gave me a quote. But not via my builder. When I was talking to him over the phone about the electrical work needed for the electric shower. He said his mate could do it. When I asked about his insurance he said his electrician friend would charge £20 on top to see it...is this common practice?

I have no clue what I am doing. I was quoted 820.00 to fit the electric shower tile 2 walls not up to the ceiling (he said it wouldn't need to be all the up to the top) and taking away waste. I have no idea of the electrician's name and even the builder person seems vague when I ask him about his insurance. Just that he has it but doesn't send it. Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
personally - i would be very careful with "my builder" i used once and got a few quotes , noway would i use them after meeting and discussing, so nolonger look
isnt anyone in your area able to give recommendations ?
i often see recommendations on nextdoor.com and a lot of people often recommend the same person

what insurance are you asking for ?
what do you expect it to provide

Yes, to do legal electrical work in a domestic either the electrician needs to be a scheme member, or he needs to work with the LABC who will issue a completion certificate, for a scheme member the scheme provider insists on insurance, so it will be in place, but the rules say it is down to the owner to either inform the LABC or to select a scheme member, and non scheme members are not permitted to display scheme providers logo on paperwork, van etc. So working direct with electrician you know what you are getting.

My sister said you never finish a job, your not going to DIY my mothers wet room we will get a builder to do it, to be frank a fair comment, however the builder ran off mid job, and we did not even know the name of the electrician sub contractor he used, the builder went bankrupt, and we were left trying to correct his poor workmanship, including finding out he had not registered the work with the LABC, to be frank until we took over the job, I did not realise to change the use of a room from toilet and pantry to a wet room with shower, toilet and sink needed planning permission or LABC involvement.

The builder/plumber who did my shower, used special boards rather than tiles, much quicker to install so cheaper, and no chance of the grouting leaking and rotting timbers underneath as there is no grouting. He did other work as well, replacing rotten beams, and sagging floor, and shoring up the cistern which looked as if it may have dropped a floor if nothing done, so hard to say what the shower cost.

If "My Builder" refers to a job agency for builders who have that little work they need to use one to find it for them, the big question is why do they need to use a job agency? The builder I use is snowed under with work, no way would be pay a job agency to find him work, so if I found anyone I was going to use was paying a job agency, I would look else where.

Sponsored Links
I used my builder to ask for a job. A shower over my bath. And the only bloke that replied gave me a quote. But not via my builder. When I was talking to him over the phone about the electrical work needed for the electric shower. He said his mate could do it. When I asked about his insurance he said his electrician friend would charge £20 on top to see it...is this common practice?

No it is not, he either has it, or he doesn't - I would expect the charge mentioned is to deter you from wanting to see what he doesn't have. Liability insurance is probably what you are asking about. If he doesn't have that, he will likely not have all of the other legalities sorted, to do the job legally. Give him a wide berth and find someone qualified to do the job. My Builder and the other similar operations are not good sources.

Thank you, for taking the time to reply it is very much appreciated. Aside from next door app mentioned, where should I look find people that are qualified and insured to do the job? Thank you once again.

Go to a plumbing wholesaler* and ask if they have any suggestions/business cards from people they supply.

*that means NOT the DIY 'barns!

Yes, so worried that you should find someone else.
Each year I'd automatically make about 20 photocopies of my PLI cert to hand out when requested and I'd include a copy with documents handed over on sites (risk assessment, method statements, copy of ECS & CSI etc).
Heck I've just realised I missed out on £400 per year :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back