Builder supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder's electrician installed this builders electrics supply after the service head was moved. I just noticed that the electrician installed two double sockets as well before the meter was fitted. I called him today to ask him about it but he said it was fine as it is. Is this legal?
IMAG0001.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you saying there is no electricity meter?

If so, best get your man to disconnect those sockets a bit quick.

Or maybe a 'lock' on the main switch of the board may be ok for now.

Either way, you don't want to be using free electricity.

NO, unless you sign a contract with an electricity supplier who will charge for an agreed number of un-metered kilowatt hours per week. You would have to convince them how much power you will use and for how many hours per week. Highly likely you would pay a lot more per unit used this way that if you get a meter instaled. The same princible as used for lamposts which do not have a meter but then the load ( the lamp ) is fixed and the hours it is on are known so an accurate price can be calculated.

Sponsored Links
Also, has a PME sticker on the head, but appears the earth is coming from elsewhere, earth rod perhaps?

Not too sure now. Can't SEE a meter in the picture.
Unless it's now mounted separately above this lot and the cable disappearing off the top of the picture goe to it. The angle of them though, it does look as though it's just loops of cable off the top of the photo that we can't see.

Your supplier won't like that at all. It needs metering, you won't even use that much electric during construction.

Also, has a PME sticker on the head, but appears the earth is coming from elsewhere, earth rod perhaps?
I hope so, PME is not permitted for this arrangement.

Edit:
I wouldn't have put that earth block there, I would have supported the cables, especially the long tails and earth cable. I would not have put the 2 double sockets butted together one on top of the other. I would have filled in the tested dates. I would not have put my company name on it if I was stealing electricity. I would not be stealing electricity. :)

No, because it's too much effort to meet the requirements:

704.411.3.1:A PME earthing facility shall not be used as the means of earthing for an installation falling within the scope of this section (construction and demolition site installations) unless all extraneous-conductive-parts are reliably connected to the main earthing terminal in accordance with 411.3.1.2.

NOTE: If the PME earthing facility is considered for use see also BS 7375.

I don't have a copy of BS 7375 as it's £158.00

I am told that the earth is connected to an earth rod

Last edited:
Some people here obviously use different rules to me for comprehending "before the meter was fitted"...

Some people here obviously use different rules to me for comprehending "before the meter was fitted"...
Another of those potential ambiguities of the English language, I suppose. How about ...

"I re-painted the object before any rust was present"? That doesn't imply that rust was ever necessarily present, does it?

In context, if there actually is still no meter, maybe it would have been clearer to say "before a (or 'any') meter was fitted" ?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back