Electricians Die

Sponsored Links
Poor fellas. Both involving high current supplies.
What's the normal practice to remove power to the incomer. Snip the DNO's tag on the main fuse?

Sponsored Links
Poor fellas. Both involving high current supplies.
What's the normal practice to remove power to the incomer. Snip the DNO's tag on the main fuse?
Some dnos think it's acceptable if you're a registered electrician. Otherwise I think they're supposed to isolate for you. Or they can fit an isolator for you.

Compulsory installation of DP Isolator (with lock on/off) immediately after the meter. (With all the "smart" meters being installed at the moment, it could be made a requirement on change of meter for existing installations).

Tragic.

But why oh why was Mr Downey working live?
You should never work live unless there is no alternative. Even then you should be trained and be wearing the right safety kit.

Very sad.

I wonder what sort of "regular safety checks for electricians" they think should be carried out, by whom, how and where, how and by whom enforced, and who should pay?
The "what sort of" would presumably be a major point for discussion/decision, but the "who" (in terms of both 'checks' and enforcement' would presumably be an appropriate, legislation-backed, licensing/regulatory authority/body, as with most regulated areas of life.

Kind Regards, John

I think one of the articles said that he'd switched the supply off, but it hadn't actually disconnected, hence he'd have assumed that he was working on a dead cable. If he hadn't been wearing shorts, and touching the copper piped, then he may well have survived.

The young lad seems to have touched a 400v unshielded busbar.

I quess its harder for the self employed, on our firm for Certain jobs like switchroom stuff, we do not attempt to do on our own, any other lone working has to go on our risk assessment and we are encouraged to keep in contact by phone throughout the day

Compulsory installation of DP Isolator (with lock on/off) immediately after the meter. (With all the "smart" meters being installed at the moment, it could be made a requirement on change of meter for existing installations).
As Doggit implies in this case, an isolator present can give a false impression of safety and maybe even encourage more non skilled persons to attempt work out there depths, I am sure most in the trade have encountered isolators that fail to isolate, so without additional proper testing, im not sure an isolator achieves anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back