Electricians

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have got to the point in my current career where I have realised it is not what I want to do for the next 40 years. I enjoy doing diy projects ever since I moved into my current house and electrics is one topic that actually really interests me, I can actually read about it and not get bored.

My problem is I currently work in healthcare and I work 3 12 hour shifts a week, at various locations so I sometimes stay overnight also. This makes it impossible to do the typical college classes which are always held on set nights during the week at times I cant make. Is there any way I can learn electrics and progress myself into becoming an electrician without having to commit to a set day per week? or even with home based learning? I came across a website called access training UK which says in the bio that they work around your personal commitments but I don't know how true this is?

Also what is the work like as an electrician, salary, job satisfaction etc? I'm thinking long term I would love to work for myself.

Sponsored Links
I suggest you approach your local college/train provider, as some do allow for flexibility and you maybe able to sit-in on other days to then one designated to you. I would also suggest you approach an electrician and get some hands on work experience with them.
DIY is a lot different than working full-time in a trade, you really need to know that you do enjoy it, before committing. There is a lot to it, theory and practical and some of it is not that simulating or exciting or financially rewarding!

I would agree collages or at least lecturers in the collage often arrangements are not official will help with shift work and can be quite flexible.

The big difference with DIY and professional is the maths. I went back to collage to brush up my maths and I found A level did not cover bits I wanted it would seem one needs a further maths A level not simple maths to cover items like imaginary numbers which we use to work out power factor correction. Now it is possible as an electrician you will never need to work it out, however you will need to do it to pass exams.

So my son who dropped out on his second year of a maths degree sailed through the maths, I however who only has a CSE maths grade 1 found the maths rather daunting. So if he missed a day in collage it was not a problem. For me it was. Look at the formula for correction for operating temperature and others in Appendix 4 of the regulations and there are some really nasty ones. In the main as an electrician I have done them once, and written an excel or java script program after which point all I do is bang in the numbers. As a student not allowed to do that.

I have had many jobs as an electrician, some really good and some horrors. House bashing can be a real bore, 40 houses all the same and some one in an office has worked out exactly what is to go in. Often don't even do your own inspecting and testing one guy does it all and his job is also a bore same thing every day. Then you get the odd special but it really is the odd one. Industry can be both better and worse, I have worked under electrical engineers where I am nothing more than a skivvy. I have also worked where I have to do all the design work which can be very interesting and demanding. Oddly it was the technical firms which had less demanding work as they have electrical engineers to work it all out. It really can be a case of put that wire in that hole as shown on the plan and you have not a clue what the wire does. Biggest challenge is not to mark the gland and get the cables to look symmetrical and look good on the tray. I have worked for 6 months all I did every day was drive in earth rods and measure their resistance talk about boring, that job had zero potential!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back