Electricity Charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister in law just lost her husband and I am trying to help her with various things. I find she is currently paying £160 per month for electricity. It's only a 2 bed flat with 3 storage heaters, it seems hell of a lot to me. Is it reasonable, I have tried to contact supplier but so far no luck. Tried a comparison site and lowest was same company for less than half of which she is currently paying.

Sponsored Links
Change to the same company. :)

What did you enter on the comparison site to get that result?

It does seem a lot but can't really tell without some details -
Number of units used, standing charge, any debt being repaid etc.

Does she have E7 or similar tariff?

It's only a 2 bed flat with 3 storage heaters
I have helped out an elderly lady who had storage heaters , BUT she supplemented those with electric heaters , and tended to have rooms at 25C
I was looking into the options, when she announced she had signed a contract with a provider to change all the storage heaters as they would save money - ended up nearly doubling the bill!!!!

As asked - whats the tariff E7 ? whats the KW/hr rate (for the 2 Tariff if E7 ) and day rate - thats all i would use to compare

Do you know if she uses Electrical heaters ?
or even a Electric blanket left on all day
Emersion heater ? On all day ? - my lady had removed the timer and just had this on 24/7

Amount in Credit , I think there are rules on how much can be held , but i have seen £1000+ in credit before

Tariff is E7. Only has storage heaters on at night.Day rate 18.03 night rate 10.10. Standing charge 23.60 per day. I calculate if she was using 4000 kWh in a year she is still overpaying. There have never been any missed payments, I have seen the invoices.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember , when i had E7 , that the split to be cost effective was based on a 40N/60D split,
based on your numbers for tarrif & a 40/60 split, then at £160 a month , I make that 8400 KW/Hr EDIT - 12,000 a year

Is the Hot water Immersion heater on a timer, and she uses no other heating in the winter at all, things like electric blankets

£86.14 a year for the day rate - (23.60 * 365) = £7.18 per month

perhaps the meter is faulty - or as i found some of the Storage heaters where not on the timed circuit and happened to also be on all day. again as the timers had been removed

worth taking a few meter readings - i actually take and submit meter readings every month , to keep a track

simple spreadsheet calc (will be on share for a month)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5hsyau6t1dpxu2/Electric calc.xlsx?dl=0

Last edited:
Actually it's £163 per month, when they took out the contract in April 2020 it was £145 per month.

I'll check out storage heaters and emersion but the flat doesn't seem overwarm when I have visited. I'll get back to you with update.

i dropped a simple spreadsheet in last post

Do they submit meter readings , should be able to look at previous bills and see when the Meter was read, with Actual reading and Estimated

i think thats a good tarrif - usually the day rate is well above 20p , when i was looking at E7 , but that was pre covid

on comparison site, like uswtich you can get to the actual tariff info

If it were all at cheap rate, it would be:

16000p / 10p = 1600kWh /30days = 53.3kWh per day / 24hours = 2.2kWh per hour = 2,200W continous.

All at day rate would be:

16000p / 18p = 889kWh / 30 days = 29.6kWh per day / 24 hours = 1.23kWh per hour = 1,230W continuous.

Both plus standing charge of 23.6p x 30 = £7.08.

I think the sums are correct.

It will therefore be somewhere between the two, so not impossible.

No gas option. Re the other calculations there is no access to the meter which is in a locked box and I have not been able to locate statements of usage. They ,sister in law , do not go on line for things such as this and they were under the impression that they could not change their suppliers. EDF told me that they only advise customers of cheaper tariffs on line not by snail mail.

Sponsored Links
Back