Electricity Charges

I recommend writing to the supplier (yes, on paper, with a stamp on the envelope), saying has just been widowed, will deal with the account, needs copies of bills to calculate the estate for probate (this is all true)

deny having email

say hard of hearing so prefers not to deal on phone

you can send it to "bereavement department" at the customer service address.

This is for two reasons:

A real letter bypasses the call centre and gets logged and passed along until it reaches someone who knows what to do

there will be a bereavement department (might not be called that at all companies) staffed by people who are supposed to be trained to react sensitively, sympathetically and helpfully.

All major utilities do this

Because the reputational damage if they don't is immense.

edit
in writing, Freepost EDF CUSTOMER CORRESPONDENCE

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am going to give them one last chance on the phone to explain the discrepancy between the on line quote and what she is currently paying, and if I don't get anywhere the gloves are off.
I did work for a international company and experienced those clients who bypassed the normal system and harassed top management. They will do anything to get rid of a monkey on their back.

Sponsored Links
Get access to the meter, and make readings daily (if possible) and see what usage is being made.
Also give the readings to the supplier, and check for estimated reads.
Ensure that the storage heaters come on at the correct times ie at the reduced rate, not unknown for the timing to be out!

Thanks everybody, I'll take all your suggestions on board and let you know the outcome. From what I've already found out I get the impression that those who are not on the internet are fair game for the utility suppliers. Just happens they are mainly the older generation who have other problems.

A spark I know had an elderly customer whose bills were huge.
TCALSS, it turned out she had been given bills based on massively over-estimated usage.

That shouldn't really happen for extended periods but somehow this went on for a year or more.

So this spark helped her to submit the actual reading.

Next thing the poor old dear knew, an electric company employee turned up with a load of coppers, accusing her of tampering with the meter!

The letter will be scanned and OCR'd for the call centre agent to action. An email is fine.

When I had storage heaters I tended not to use them as I was forever opening the window to let the place cool down. But it depends on the age of the flat and its insulation.

Up-to-date report. Managed to make contact with supplier. They say that usage is not unusually high. Estimated use by supplier for current year just over 13000kWh. Account in credit over £900 but not had a bill for 5 months.
One strange thing is that usage has increased by over 29% from same period last year. No changes in household .

£900 Credit is quite a lot, given its Summer, depends if this will balance out over the year.

I reduced my standing order by £27 a month as I was £600 in credit over the winter - Prefer to be in Debit over the winter and then make it up in the summer with less heating - quite a big change for us

13000 KWh in a year assuming a 60/40% split is probably around £170/mth
But in Summer uses a lot less if they have the heaters turned OFF
is it EDF?
Would be useful to know when the meter was read
They used to have to read on a regular basis - NOT sure what the requirement is now, and with covid
worth asking , and getting a key and comparing the reading NOW to what they think the last BILL reading was

My bill for dual fuel is 165 monthly and we have a detached 5 bed with 2 adults and 3 locust teenagers in it.

Sponsored Links
Back