Electricity intermittently off, but RCD does not trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In the past week, all the electricity in my home intermittently switches off for about 5 seconds and then switches itself back on by itself.

Any idea what could be causing this.? The consumer unit is protected by RCD's etc, but none of them are tripped off.

It happens about twice a day, but not at any specific time. I only notice it because the burglar alarm panel buzzes and issues a warning re the mains panel, and I then also notice that the alarm clock needs resetting.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the main supply is being interrupted. This could be outside your house, Are any of your neighbours having the same problem?

Or there may be a loose connection either in the consumer unit, or the supply company's equipment in your house.

I would get an electrician to make a check of your side before you call out the DNO.

The burglar alarm will tell you if teh power is interrupted.

For those time periods it could be a transient fault on an HV system if you are in a rural area, 5 seconds does match the reclaim/close time of most auto-reclose systems
best just ring the DNO as it will cost you nothing, only consider an electrician if the DNo knows nothing about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back