RCD suddenly Tripping

Is there anything else connected without a plug? Boiler, lights, garden circuit, cooker?
Only the house alarm and that’s the first thing I did last night was swap out the 13a fuse to that.

Sponsored Links
That does not disconnect the neutral conne tor.

Neither do light switches

Modern switched spurs usually do (e.g. for a boiler)

Sponsored Links
Please don't call them spurs.
I agree the accessory with a switch is not a spur..

But...
But what term does OP know?
I'll usually stick whith what the other person understands as long as it makes sense and isn't likely to cause confusion.
There could just about be an arguement for the switch/fuse device, the cable and the sockets on the end to be collectively called a socket spur, I personally wouldn't but if a customer was describing that part of a bigger circuit as such I'd rather we understood each other and fall in line.

I did some work for a guy who called every accessory a plug, and pronounced conduit "condwee"

Update: turns out it was wiring arcing in a bedroom socket causing the issues. Seems to be sorted now but took hours to locate, even with all the MCB’s off in that CU the RCD was still tripping. Thanks for all help & advice offered, much appreciated

Update: turns out it was wiring arcing in a bedroom socket causing the issues. Seems to be sorted now but took hours to locate, even with all the MCB’s off in that CU the RCD was still tripping. Thanks for all help & advice offered, much appreciated
It seems strange that it was arcing with the power off, however I've stopped being surprised by symptoms and causes.

It seems strange that it was arcing with the power off, however I've stopped being surprised by symptoms and causes.
Agreed, but even with every MCB off on CU#1, plugging any appliance into a socket served directly by the CU#2 tripped the RCD on CU#1 which just added to the confusion. Seems the electrician that installed CU#2 didn’t do everything by the book which is disappointing.

Agreed, but even with every MCB off on CU#1, plugging any appliance into a socket served directly by the CU#2 tripped the RCD on CU#1 which just added to the confusion. Seems the electrician that installed CU#2 didn’t do everything by the book which is disappointing.
These things do crop up sometimes even when correctly installed. I recall RFlighting (one of our highly respected contributers) posted a video on here showing very strange behaviour of RCBOs in a CU or Distribution Board interacting with each other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back