1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Electricity pole - Cutting, splitting and using an old pole to make posts

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by DIYNotIan, 19 Jul 2021.

1. DIYNotIan

DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I need timber for posts for wood shelters. Nothing fancy; it's all quite rough and ready with reclaimed materials where possible.

There's an old electricity pole lying in the garden which has probably been there around three years. I was thinking to cut it down into 4 pieces, and then split each of those length ways into four, giving me 16 posts. I think the post has remnants of creosote or some kind of tar stuff on it, but not much and I presume such treatment doesn't penetrate. So when (or if) I do manage to split it, what would be the best type of treatment to use on it?

I'll probably drive a section into the ground for stability, and presume that will need a separate or additional treatment due to ground contact. Any recommendations?

Obviously being a shelter, the posts will be under cover to a certain extent and should hopefully only get wet in very bad weather. But the longer they last the better.

Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions most welcome. Photos below.

Cheers

IMG_20210719_180401813.jpg

IMG_20210719_180411633.jpg

IMG_20210719_180425098.jpg

IMG_20210719_180444778.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. scbk

scbk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sell the pole and use the money to buy some sawn timber!

• Like Like x 1