Electricity pole - Cutting, splitting and using an old pole to make posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need timber for posts for wood shelters. Nothing fancy; it's all quite rough and ready with reclaimed materials where possible.

There's an old electricity pole lying in the garden which has probably been there around three years. I was thinking to cut it down into 4 pieces, and then split each of those length ways into four, giving me 16 posts. I think the post has remnants of creosote or some kind of tar stuff on it, but not much and I presume such treatment doesn't penetrate. So when (or if) I do manage to split it, what would be the best type of treatment to use on it?

I'll probably drive a section into the ground for stability, and presume that will need a separate or additional treatment due to ground contact. Any recommendations?

Obviously being a shelter, the posts will be under cover to a certain extent and should hopefully only get wet in very bad weather. But the longer they last the better.

Any suggestions, thoughts or opinions most welcome. Photos below.

Cheers

IMG_20210719_180401813.jpg

IMG_20210719_180411633.jpg

IMG_20210719_180425098.jpg

IMG_20210719_180444778.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back