Electricity Supply to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just recently moved into a new house, and would like to get electricity into the garage, though not absolutely essential would be useful. Problem is the house is mid terrace and the garage is on the end of the terrace. I have had a quote for Western Power to install a supply (around 10m of trenching in footpath) at a whopping cost of £9000!

My question really is, as the access at the front of the house is a footpath and the back is a shared alleyway, how would I go about routing a cable from the house? I assume I would need some sort of wayleave to run a cable this way, has anyone done something similar

Either that or should I go and buy another 45m extension lead to run from my outside socket when I want to work in the garage!

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have that generator, which I bought approx. 20 years ago. I have used it many times and I think it would be good for your garage.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Important questions: How much power do you need, for how long and how often will you need it?

Important questions: How much power do you need, for how long and how often will you need it?

Lighting mainly, otherwise light tools and chargers, potentially a freezer though I can possibly make room in the house for that. So would be fairly infrequent. Though useful, particularly in winter when I get back from work and need to load the van for the next day

There are very few options. It sounds like the footpath and alleyway and other cable routes are either public, shared or someone else’s property.

If you can make do with just lighting, try a Geo 1 or a Geo 2 lighting kit from Solar Centre.

Then you can't go out front without getting a wayleave from the county council and permission to lay cables under rheir right of way (best of luck with that).

If the rear access is private, who owns it? Is it shared between the houses (if freehold), or is it owned by the leaseholder (if leashold)
you will need to gain permission from whoever that is to lay your cable. Best to get a solicitor who is voiced in land legality matters to investigate.

Oh look £9000 doesnt look to bad after all..

Oh look £9000 doesnt look to bad after all..
It does! Although you're right it may be the cheapest option.
My thought are can you do overhead cable without annoying anyone?
Other option is ask the person in the last house if you can branch off their supply. Even if you offer to go halves on their bill you could have it on their supply for 10 years and still not pay 9 grand! However I can't see them agreeing to that.
Another option still is to club together with all the garage owners and get one supply fitted for 9 grand and share the cost. There would have to be a few people in the block wanting it though. Or vice versa, find out if someone else already has a supply and offer less than 9 grand to get a supply off them.
Mostly that is all against the t&c, so careful there.

Lights only- some sort of solar setup with a battery or 2 and inverter (if you want to use 240v lights or small appliances.
Here's a thought, could you get a subsidised car charging point fitted? Once trench is dug/power is in, getting a supply might get cheaper?
EDIT You can buy electric meters on ebay, if you did find a willing end terrace occupier that would work. Or are there any streetlights by the garage block? (That wld be very naughty and very expensive when yougot caught)

Lights only- some sort of solar setup with a battery or 2 and inverter (if you want to use 240v lights or small appliances.
Here's a thought, could you get a subsidised car charging point fitted? Once trench is dug/power is in, getting a supply might get cheaper?
EDIT You can buy electric meters on ebay, if you did find a willing end terrace occupier that would work. Or are there any streetlights by the garage block? (That wld be very naughty and very expensive when yougot caught)

How would the charging point work? I would still need a supply to the garage which would be expensive DNO for a new supply or a trench from the house, which has to run down the pavement or the rear access

I've never even looked at the subsidy scheme but it seems likely that people (like you) with a standalone garage might one day want an electric car, if one had to pay 9k for a charging point that would be a bit of a disincentive, the whole point of the subsidy is to encourage people to switch so i assumed that someone would swallow that 9k

The subsidy scheme provided a reduction in the cost of the charge point itself. The cost of providing an adequate supply (32A usually) is not included in the scheme/subsidy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back