electriclly testing heating components

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am very unsure on how to electricaly test heating components.

I got sent to a job the other day where the clock was turned on both central heating and hot water but there was no power to the boiler pump or 3way, it was all dead. i put my money on it been a dodgy clock. but wasnt 100%

I need some guidance on how to test each component indervidually. On a pump test live and neutral wire for power....but for a 3 way or 2 way what wires do i check and for a room stat or cyl stat im also unsure of how to check these.

Sponsored Links
I got sent to a job the other day where the clock was turned on both central heating and hot water but there was no power to the boiler pump or 3way,

If you are employed then the employer should arrange some form of suitable training for you depending what the range of your duties are.

The Honeywell Controls course is very good and is probably exactly what you need!

Tony

in brief from the clock 230v (nominal) feed should appear at roomstat and cylinder stat if not check link is in the wiring of the clock if it is one without an internal link. if that is in order clock is goosed.

Buy new one of same type as it will slide straight on no wiring to do.

If you post up what test stuff you are using it will give an idea of your testing approach so will enable others to give further help.

What electrical stuff have you done so far, thats to say, did you do the ACOPS 6,7,&14 when it was around?

There are quite a few publications avaliable that will increase your boiler electrics knowledge.

Tim

Sponsored Links
I use a multimeter with black and red prongs. yeah just need to grasp the basics,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back