Electrics Blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric cable running into my garage and it feeds an old two way board which has two 15amp fuses. In the garage there are two freezers, one tumble dryer as well as lighting. It also feeds the outside security light. When the electrics blow the fuses are intact so can anyone tell me what could be the cause? I know I need to upgrade the board but is it that the two 15amp fuses are not enough? Oddly enough this has happened a few times then it comes back on.

Sponsored Links
When the electrics blow the fuses are intact so can anyone tell me what could be the cause?
Not without more info on what you mean by "the electrics blow".

I know I need to upgrade the board
Why do you?

but is it that the two 15amp fuses are not enough?
When the electrics blow the fuses are intact

Oddly enough this has happened a few times then it comes back on.
What has happened a few times?

What comes back on?

What is meant by electrics blow is that all power in the garage is lost.

Sponsored Links
The power is lost then it will come back on
Lost from where, i.e. how far back?

Lost how? Just what does "When the electrics blow" mean? I know you said "What is meant by electrics blow is that all power in the garage is lost", but that is not an event which could be described as "blowing". You have probably got a loose connection somewhere, which will either get worse and become permanent, or possibly start a fire.

I suggest you call an electrician first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
No idea what you're on about but sounds like a loose connection or broken wire
Go and check the condition of all the terminations, obviously with the power off.

I would caution against advising someone who thinks that power going off is "the electrics blowing", and that the cause might be fuses which remain intact being too small, and that a fuseboard needs upgrading because it is old and brown and bakelite, to do electrical work.

So, you have a breaker somewhere else which pops and you have to re-set it to get the power on again? What is that breaker..

Nozzle

There is normally a series of safety devices able to remove power in the event of a fault, however in the main non auto reset, there are some exceptions, but unlikely to be found in the home. So if it comes back on without you resetting a trip, or renewing a fuse then looking at a wiring fault, likely a loose connection, which as has been already pointed out could cause a fire. So you need an electrician ASAP to work out what has gone wrong, and to be safe the items in the garage should be switched off until the fault is found, basic thing is no load then no heat so unlikely to cause a fire if nothing switched on.

If however you are replacing a fuse or resetting a trip to get the power back then all changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back