Electrics for Garden shed limited access to CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking about putting in a garden office, however i have seen different solutions for getting electrics to it.

The house CU is at the front and its a terraced house, it would be very troublesome to chase a new feed/ring into the shed.

I did see on here someone posted a link to autumn wiring matters article and it indicated that i could take the source of power from the existing downstairs ring? Is this advisable. I already have a socket quite close to the patio doors that is intended for portable outside equipment, can i take the power from here?

I am planning to run the following items in the office: Computer, printer, screen, TV (LCD), wall mounted convection heater and some lights. I was going to use 4mm T&E SWA through a gutter pipe at least 400mm deep.

Also i am more than confident to do the work myself, how to i get it certified without paying a sparky?

look forward to your replies.

Sponsored Links
Taking power from the existing RF will limit you to 13A.

You want electric heating in the shed.....

how old is ur wiring?

is that socket rcd protected

how far away is the shed?

you may get too bigger voltage drop!

how are you installing the cable?

Sponsored Links
Well i am assuming it is RCD protected the socket has a reset button on it but my CU is too old to have MCB's it has simply old fuse wire.... the house is only 20 years old too.... guess it was cheaper to use fusewire back then!!

Office is 8.5m from the socket

You will of course notify this work to your local Council Building Control before you start having paid their fee - think £100 to £300.

No reputable "sparky" will certify any work other than their own as they can't see exactly what you've done.

The problem for you will be that the outdoor socket is pretty likely to be a spur, in which case you can't take another spur off it. You can confirm this by removing the front of the outdoor socket (with the power off) and checking how many wires are entering the enclosure. One wire and it's a spur, two and it's probably part of the ring.

You will of course notify this work to your local Council Building Control before you start having paid their fee - think £100 to £300.

No reputable "sparky" will certify any work other than their own as they can't see exactly what you've done.

If you pay their fee it's then up to the Council to arrange for it to be certified.

electronics UK, can i not simply remove the socket and extend it to the garden office?

Of course i will notify lbc.... although i still think this new rule sucks for people who are more than capable of doing this kind of work but hey ho.

PS: what are my other options other than chase a new run right through from the front of the house to the back!! I can see this being a real work up!

electronics UK, can i not simply remove the socket and extend it to the garden office?

Of course i will notify lbc.... although i still think this new rule sucks for people who are more than capable of doing this kind of work but hey ho.
So are you capable of testing it? Have you worked out that the fault loop value will be OK if you extend the spur all the way to the outbuilding?

PS: what are my other options other than chase a new run right through from the front of the house to the back!! I can see this being a real work up!
Under the floor?

Up the outside wall and into the loft, across the house, out and down?

If i extend the spur can i not put the rcd in the actual office ?? i dont have a fault loop impedance meter so guess i wont be able to test it.....

As for going under the floor.... the floor is concrete so thats a no-no.

Going out - up - in - out - down is an option but when i have a spur so close to the back door that is designed for outdoor appliances it seems a work up to be honest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back