new CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sparks

I recently added a separate ring main to the downstairs of my house separating the ring upstairs from downstairs and also separating the kitchen with a new ring. I would like to get a sparky in now to add a new CU with MCB's instead of fuses. There is limited space in the CU cupboard where the current fuseboard is which is approx 260mm * 210mm.

I have included a picture of the unit. I would like to know what CU to buy. I have in total

* 1 upstairs ring
* 1 downstairs ring
* 1 upstairs lights
* 1 downstairs lights
* 1 kitchen ring
* 1 cooker cable 6mm

going to the CU but would like to extend this and put some electrics in the shed/garden so would need room to fit this in to! My questions are;

* what consumer unit do i need that will fit this space (is there options make more space?)
* what do I need to put a couple of security lights in the garden, socket in the garden and socket in the shed
* how much should a sparky charge to replace the CU only

many thanks in advance
chips

View media item 6111

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have an overhead or TT supply. Where is the main earthing cable to the installation?

What mA rating is your RCD?

If you have TT, ask your DNO to convert to PME.

You have more space than you think. Please measure the space occupied by the white CU and the grey RCD unit - these will be integral in the replacement CU. Is the measurement more like 370 x 210?

However, it would be handy to have an isolation switch fitted....can you make the cupboard bigger?? ;)

I would like to know what CU to buy.
But you don't buy it - your electrician will do that, and he'll pay less for it than you will.

what do I need to put a couple of security lights in the garden, socket in the garden and socket in the shed
An electrician.

how much should a sparky charge to replace the CU only
About the same as a weekend away in a hotel for you and a partner.

You should really get an electrician in sooner rather than later. He will be able to answer all of these questions and more.

He'll want to fit a dual or high integrity fuseboard and will know which one to get. But he won't simply come 'round and fit one for you without testing and approving your alterations.

Sponsored Links
Could be incomer board with RCBO's, as long as you have PME conversion.

Trouble is, looking at Wylex (as they are more compact than, let's say, Hager), the boards are all 230 high & 120 out from the wall.

The 10 way is 293 wide and the 14 way 344. If you wanted bigger, the 19 way is 440.

But whichever you choose, they will not fit your cupboard!

You could space off with 1" spacers or a bit of 2x1 and hang the board over the supply tails underneath to gain height.

Or if your chosen brand of board isn't too rigid, especially as TT rules out metalclad, mount some ply then fix to that.

Many thanks to all your replies. My friend from work who does all our electrical work is coming down with a new CU. He'll know what to make of it all!

Chips, The work you have already completed Plus the additional work you propose to have done are ALL controlled work & come under the Building Regulations......Google Part P for advice

Is your friend competent to design circuits?

Is he competent to design an installation compliant with BS 7671:2008?

Does he have, and know how to use, all the test equipment he'll need to test the installation before & after installing the CU?

Can he issue an EIC with any validity?

Is he registered to self-certify compliance with the Building Regulations, or are you going to apply for Building Regulations approval in advance? If the latter, have you confirmed what your council's position is on DIY electrical work, and what their charges are?

If it was better, surely there wouldn't be restrictions on when it should be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back