Electrics for shower replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can someone help me out with this one. I am replacing a shower and the existing wiring is not up to the wiring regs, the cable sizing is correct but its only surface mounted twin and earth and should really be encapsulated or buried and capped. It does have the correct double pole switch and RCD protection.

Since its a replacement I don't really want to go through re-routing the cables but the question is can I get away with leaving it as an existing installation.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There is nothing in the regs to say the cable must be buried or capped/covered. Am assuming that it isn't exposed in the shower area itself?

Your main concern will be that the new shower is the same power rating as the old one.

Ahh of course, because it has the RCD protection it does not need to be encapsulated however if it did not it would need it....do I have this right?

The shower is pretty much like for like with exactly the same power requirements so the cables sizes are correct and adequate.

Cheers

Ahh of course, because it has the RCD protection it does not need to be encapsulated however if it did not it would need it....do I have this right?
Actually, when surface mounted it doesn't actually need an RCD. But your manufacturers instructions would insist on one anyway.

The shower is pretty much like for like with exactly the same power requirements so the cables sizes are correct and adequate.
But what about the MCB size?

Sponsored Links
The shower is 9.5KW which means current of just under 40A and its protected by 45 cartridge fuse so that all good.

Maybe I should be a little clearer on the cabling, its 10mm twin and earth that is run through the wall from the consumer unit and surface mounted down the wall the shower. However it is then hidden behind a thin piece of wood. From a regs point of view i am not sure if has the adequate mechanical protection.

Cheers

Maybe I should be a little clearer on the cabling, its 10mm twin and earth that is run through the wall from the consumer unit and surface mounted down the wall the shower. However it is then hidden behind a thin piece of wood. From a regs point of view i am not sure if has the adequate mechanical protection.

Cheers
If new cable is buried/hidden less than 50mm from the surface then you require additional protection (RCD) - since you have it you are okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back