electrics - how do i check if current is flowing in a cable?

in true screwfix style there was no box/instructions.
however looking at the thing carefully i cant see where a battery would go.
the thing is doesn't come apart anywhere for a batter to go. and i've waved it around the kettle lead a few times. i can confirm that it is the same product that you sent me the link for.

ie screwfiw item 12836

however is this item perhaps not what u think it it?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I haven't used that particular one, but the one i had unscrewed to put the batteries in

well this one doesnt unscrew. its really an electrician's screwdriver or probe as it has a slip guard on it. oh well, it'll come in useful.

can you perhaps tell me where u got yours from?

also i am going into b&q tomorrow. do u know if they do anything like what u have and what it might be called?

thanks

It appears to me the tester 12836 @ £1.49 is mains testing screwdriver for which there is no battery and with this you have to make contact with the wire with the screwdriver end at the same time hold your finger or thumb on the opposite end. Basically electricity passes through a high resistance and goes to earth through your body,whilst doing so you will see a small glow indicating that it is live.
There is no problem using this in situations where you cannot create a 'short' across two wires. Also if you have a few terminals you can identify which are live and which are not.

The proximity tester or 'none touch' tester picks up a signal when it is within 20/30mm so a lot safer in the hands of the inexperienced.
It can be used along the outside of a cable, you can't create 'short'
What it will not do for example is to identify in a cable which wire is live, so where you have a bunch of wires and have a 'light' you know there is a 'live' situation even if you don't know which are the live wires.
The 'screwfix' tester you should have obtained I believe is 10307 @ £7.99
Mine is a PLASPLUGS NON CONTACT POWER SENSOR approx £10 try Hombase or B&Q :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
i just looked on the b & q site,cant find one sorry, i too am out and about tomorrow, if i see one i will let you know what it is called, mine got squashed, otherwise you could have had that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back