Cable Holes in Wall - what do i fill it with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had a new tv aerial and satellite dish installed. The installer has drilled through the concrete wall and covered the external cables with blowout covers. I've come home today to find that someone has snapped one of these covers off. The holes are unsealed and one is exposed to the rain. What do I fill the holes with? I'd say they're about an inch in diameter.

Sponsored Links
Inch holes? must be a huge dish :D
You can fill with mortar mix, or exterior filler, or squirt in a bit of expanding foam then fill.

Silicone sealant will also do a suitable job if you have any.

Sponsored Links
When I am drilling through brickwork I collect the dust from the drilling and then fill the hole around the cable with mastic, level of and blow the collected dust onto the mastic, job done and looks neat, if you have any old brick available the same as what has been drilled in yours, do the same and you should be happy with the result.

I think the person who drilled the hole originally gas drilled it so large to be able to push the cable through with not to much problem, if he was clever he would have drilled the correct size hole for the cable and used a mouse to draw the cable through, I usually have an old wire coat hanger for the job. The trouble with some of these installers is because they are in and out merchants. Time is money to them...

. The trouble with some of these installers is because they are in and out merchants. Time is money to them...
Some of them :LOL: :LOL: . Every last sorry arsed harness wearing hi -vis knob end one of them :mrgreen:

Hi Nige F, looks like you have had dealings with them, I do not totally agree about all of them, I was a Sky installer years ago and I have witnessed the shoddy work first hand having to go to disgruntled customers and put right some of the crap that had been installed. I blame the parent companies firstly for pressurizing the lads and paying them poor money for each install, but there is no excuse for poor work and bad customer relations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back