Hole in the wall(!) - how to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a hole at the back of one of the cupboards in my kitchen which goes all the way to the outside of the property. It's approximately 3 inches in diameter. I obviously don't want the inside of the cupboard exposed to the outside, and I can also feel it letting a cold draft in, so could people recommend a cost-effective way to permanently fill it?

View media item 87933

Sponsored Links
Pop some mortar in a carrier bag and poke inside, when set fill outer hole and inner with more mortar mix .

Pop some mortar in a carrier bag and poke inside, when set fill outer hole and inner with more mortar mix .

Thanks for the suggestion - is this something I could make myself? What about some expanding foam sealant?

As per foxy, or you could jam a half brick or similar in the hole and cement up to that.....anything to prevent the cement from falling right through.
Forget about the foam here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
As per foxy, or you could jam a half brick or similar in the hole and cement up to that.....anything to prevent the cement from falling right through.
Forget about the foam here.

Thanks, John. The thing is, it's very difficult to access, it was difficult even just taking the photo, hence why I thought expanding sealing foam might be the best way to fill it. Is there a specific reason why I shouldn't use foam?

For sure, foam has its uses but its not particularly weather proof although it is claimed to be closed cell. Its also pecked away by birds over time.
I can't tell from the photo where the hole actually is.....is it possible to fill from the outside? That's really the important bit - to keep the vermin and the weather out.

With difficult access you could use a section of waste pipe, pop bag of mortar in the end, offer pipe to hole and then push out the bag into hole with a length of stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back