filling drill holes in concrete wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got drill holes in interior concrete walls (8mm say) and I want to fill them, but what will I fill them with ?

I want to fill them so that I can drill in the same area again in the future should I need to. (Maybe not in the exact same hole, could be 1 or 2 mm to the left or the right)

I dont think standard pollyfilla from the DIY store is good enough, is it ?

In total I need to fill just maybe 10 small holes.

Sponsored Links
For all you'll need, a small packet of ordinary"powdered filler/pollyfilla" will be just the thing. Mix up a little, then dampen/fill up the holes, clean off around each one then let them set. If they need a little more to tidy them up/flush them off, just put a little more over each one, let them set, then sand down lightly when dry,,, job done.

As above, but force the filler in or you will have pockets, not a problem if you dont want new holes.

As above, but force the filler in or you will have pockets, not a problem if you dont want new holes.

My only concern is that pollyfilla is not as strong a material as concrete. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Let me describe one situation I have to deal with

I have a bathroom sink. It's held in with raul plug/screw into concrete.

I took out the sink this weekend to put in a new waste (the old one was discoloured)

But unscrewing one of the screws brought out the raul plug, and a bit of the masorry

The hole which used to be 8mm diameter is now probably 12mm diameter

I want to fill the hole, and drill it again (an 8mm hole),

Will polyfilla be good enough ?

Sponsored Links
Aha!

This is the old "screwing into a loose hole" question.

Polyfilla is not good enough.

Make sure the hole is wide enough and deep enough to accept your screw and plasplug in the right position (you may need to widen it if it is off-centre). Do not worry if it is too big. You can use quite a big plasplug if it is a deep hole and a heavy item.

Clean out all the dust from the hole (you can blow it out, but my preferred method is to wash it out with a water jet)

Get a No-More-Nails or similar adhesive tube. Put the nozzle deep into the hole, right into the back so there will be no air gap at the end. Withdraw the nozzle slowly as you fill, so there is no air gap.

Push the plasplug into exactly the right place (it may help to put the screw in a few turns as a handle) for the fitting. The adhesive is quite firm and will hold it in place. Smooth off the surface with a wet finger, levelled to the rest of the wall for ease of redecoration.

Leave it overnight to set.

The next day, you can drive the screw in.

This method can be used where there is an old hole, or the hole is too big, or if the wall is crumbly, for example you have hit a mortar joint.

It is the best DIY tip I have picked up in over 20 years.

Thank's for the tip

I'm going to try it later on

I didnt think "No More Nails" adhesive would dry hard enough to hold a raul plug

I'll try it tomorrow

because it is in a hole in a wall, it only needs to be firm enough to transfer the pressure from the plug to the wall. There's nowhere for it to go, once it is firm enough not to squirt out of the end (no air gap inside the holes) and the plasplug is hard enough to take the threads on the screw.

You can buy a 2 part filler on a roll, when mixed & pushed in the hole is brilliant.
Is holding my curtain poles up

I don't doubt it, but I have plenty of tubes of NMN type stuff, it is very cheap and useful.

It's holding up my bathroom basin, kitchen cabinets, electrical sockets, radiator brackets, all sorts.

I prefer to hammer in a slither of timber , preferably hard wood, can be screwed to immediately .

My only concern is that pollyfilla is not as strong a material as concrete. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Let me describe one situation I have to deal with

I have a bathroom sink. It's held in with raul plug/screw into concrete.

I took out the sink this weekend to put in a new waste (the old one was discoloured)

But unscrewing one of the screws brought out the raul plug, and a bit of the masorry

The hole which used to be 8mm diameter is now probably 12mm diameter

I want to fill the hole, and drill it again (an 8mm hole),

Will polyfilla be good enough ?

Ahh now ,,,, different kettle of fish. I assumed you just wanted the holes to be filled up,,, end of. Didn't know you wanted to re-use them for re- drilling/re-fixing your bathroom sink back onto the wall. Polyfilla then, as JohnD said,, definitely out.

icon_thanks.gif
would be nice :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back