Redundant bathroom air vent - To fill or not to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wall vent in the bathroom that I won't need anymore and I'm wondering if I should fill the hole somehow before putting either a tile or some kind of cover over it?

There is a clay airbrick on the other side and the wall is double cavity. I don't have a diamond core to drill and replace the hole from a concrete block or similar. I could shove a couple of driveway bricks in there if both will fit!

Is it better to leave it or even fill it with expanding foam? I've also notice you can see the hole from in the attic.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have a wall vent in the bathroom that I won't need anymore and I'm wondering if I should fill the hole somehow before putting either a tile or some kind of cover over it?

Redundant why? Have you installed an extract fan? Good, controlled ventilation for a bathroom is absolutely essential to avoid mould growing and reduce humidity in the rest of the house. If you don't have a proper extract fan in the bathroom, where the hole is, is the perfect opportunity to fit one.

I am installing an inline extractor instead.

Many times I have found big fat spiders coming out to play along with the whistling of Mr. Windy at other times.

Actually, I could put a 100mm pipe in there, close the end off and fill it up with (maybe this is not necessary) expanding foam before putting the tile or cover on. If for some reason I ever needed the hole again then I can just pull it out.

Sponsored Links
fit a plastic cover with a screen. choose one with a sliding vent so you can close it over.

fit a plastic cover with a screen. choose one with a sliding vent so you can close it over.

Thanks, that's an idea.

The previous owner just stuck a grille over the hole using a couple of dollops of grab adhesive so looks like I'll have to drill in the tiles unless there's some form of sealant that will secure the vent in place and make it airtight?

Also, will the loss of heat and noise gain without filling the hole (and external vent) be negligible then?

Thanks.

Actually, I could put a 100mm pipe in there, close the end off and fill it up with (maybe this is not necessary) expanding foam before putting the tile or cover on. If for some reason I ever needed the hole again then I can just pull it out.

I used my vent for extractor fan, works a treat. Pipe in, flap cover on outside, files with foam.

If it's away from the fan then it's a useful air inlet to clear the room quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back