filling around cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have had my kitchen rewired before I installed the new kitchen.
The CU is in the attached garage the otherside of the kitchen. The electricians drilled through the cavity wall to the landing above the kitchen to run the wires under the floor boards and then down to the kitchen.

The hole in ther garage side I have filled with morter but the inside is difficult to get to unless I take the floor board near the wall up too. Is there anything I can use to fill the holes under the floor that the cables come through? I can just about reach it from arms length, but would be best if I could use a gun of some sort.

I wasn't sure if silicone or expanding foam would react with the pvc of the cable.

Appriciate any suggestions.
Ads

Sponsored Links
Either foam or silicone will be fine.
The seals should have been made by your electrician though, so I would contact them and ask why it has not been done. Unless you had already agreed to do the remedial work.

Thanks for your help. I will probaby go for the silicone. will rodents be able to eat through it i should I not worry as I have the hole cemented on the garage side?

I had agreed to do it as I was putting the floorboards back down anyway. The guy who done the work is a friend of mine, so I saved a bit of money by doing some of the labour work with him, like taking floorboards up, helping run cables etc.

At least I know where they all are now so I don't drill through any too! :)

Rodents will be more interested in chewing the electrical cable rather than the silicone.
I doubt very much that they will be nibbling away at a silicone seal, so not a great worry. Just make sure the it's a good seal, as mice can squeeze through a hole the size of the cross section of a pencil.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the help guys. Will probably put some wire wool in first as this will also stop the silicone dropping out the back! :)

I have a vision of someone trying to put a terminal on a strand of wire wool now! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back