Electrics in Kitchen Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has had an extension built to her kitchen which is very near completion. She has asked an electrician to certify the build. (He did not work on the build). The new electrician has told her that all White goods in the kitchen must be fitted to sockets above the work surface and can not be sockets inside cupboards or behind the goods !! This will involve a complete re design of the kitchen which is already tiled. Can someone tell me if the electrician is correct? Seems silly to me that all sockets should be on display ???

THe same electrician has told her that a smoke alarm is required in every room and these smoke alarms must be connected to the power??

Apparently these changes are required before she can receive her electrical safety certificate which has been requested in order for her to get sign off from the Private Building Control Officer that she has employed/

Any advice is very much appreciated as she is going out of her mind with worry.

Thanks Nick

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a fridge, freezer, dishwasher, or washer dryer plugged into a socket above the work surface... um, no. It's also incredibly unlikely that a smoke/heat alarm is required in *every* room - although it's eminently sensible that they should be mains and interlinked. I'd be tempted to find another electrician.

It may be the use of the word "socket" is a mistake? - Fused spurs for dishwasher, washer etc above the work surface is very common and makes for very easy isolation/fuse changing.

No idea if it is a wiring reg or not?

The electrician is totally wrong about the alarms, and is interpreting the socket situation incorrectly.

For a house, smoke detection on each hallway/landing would normally suffice.

For the sockets it is a recommendation not a requirement that sockets be accessible to avoid inconvenience.

Sponsored Links
I presume your in england if she has employed a bc officer - in scotland we have to deal direct with council.

Isolation switches above worktop will be required for appliances - you can do a 4gang switch if space is limited

As for alarms - up here when we carry out warrantable works you need a hardwired smoke alarm that can be wirelessly interlinked to other alarms in the property. If its going to be rented then all alarms need to he independently hardwired,

To be fair to the spark - your asking him to put his name to someone elses work - so he will need to satisfy that its in accordance with current legislation as he will be liable when issuing certificate.

Is there a reason the person who done the original wiring didnt sign it off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back