Electrics in the Bathroom!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
While helping a friend move into a new house we noticed that there was a plug socket in the groud floor bathroom. Plugged into this was a plug with a length of cable which went up to the ceiling and out into the garden and down to the shed at the bottom of the garden just for security lights i think.

2 questions for you:

1) is it ok to have a socket in the bathroom? (is it legal)

2) the power to the shed looks a bit mickey mouse, can you suggest how best to improve this making a better job of what someone in the past has done?

regards,

Simon

Sponsored Links
1) No. Contrary to popular belief, normal lightswitches are allowed in bathrooms in certain situations (although a pullcord will always be preferable). But a 13A socket (outlet) is NEVER allowed.

2) It is possible that this can be improved, but only if outdoor-rated cable has been used. It would be much safer, and ultimately better, to just rip it out and start again. Then you KNOW it has been done properly. Remember, that socket in the bathroom will be disappearing! :D

thanks for that,

I will pass that on and get the socket dealt with ASAP!

the cable running out to the shed is 10mm i think, looks very odd going into a 13amp plug!

Simon,

simongraham said:
the cable running out to the shed is 10mm i think, looks very odd going into a 13amp plug!

Simon,

i wouldnt like to see 10mm T+E going into a 13A plug. and if its T+E outside, time 2 rip it out. it is NOT designed for use outside the house

Sponsored Links
I wonder why its 10mm, I doubt its for volt drop or disconnect time reasons with how it is installed, if its installed how he says it is, then I seriously doubt the installer would have even tried to comply with these points.

TBH, I wouldn't be supprised to find something fairly high powered had been used in the shed at somepoint and hence a nail-fuse has been used

probabily kept blowin fuses.

a few years ago at college, we were told bout a guy who was sick of changin the fusewire for the shower, which blew it as soon as it was switched on. later his daughter got in and was killed. turns out he stuck a 4" nail accross the terminals in the fuseboard

andrew2022 said:
simongraham said:

Simon,

i wouldnt like to see 10mm T+E going into a 13A plug. and if its T+E outside, time 2 rip it out. it is NOT designed for use outside the house

I would love to see 10 sq mm cable going into a 13A plug! If anybody here can wire this up then you have a job for life!!!

2.5mm T&E to a 13A plug is fiarly easy (main problem is the stiffness)
4mm T&E is definately achiveable (im sure i've seen it)
6mm T&E could possiblly be done with the right choice of plug
10mm T&E you must be joking

andrew2022 said:
probabily kept blowin fuses.

a few years ago at college, we were told bout a guy who was sick of changin the fusewire for the shower, which blew it as soon as it was switched on. later his daughter got in and was killed. turns out he stuck a 4" nail accross the terminals in the fuseboard

What an idiot.

Well thanks everyone for your replies,

I'll tell my mate the bad news about his dodgy electrics.

Just a quick last question:

What would your estimate be on the cost to put the proper cable in and bits needed to make the shed power safe?

Distance from the house to the shed is roughly 30ft.
The shed has a light inside and then a couple of lights on the outside with a PIR.

Thanks again - i'll post any more surprises that are found in the house!

Simon,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back