probs to recharge 2 toothbrushes (moved from Information)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am writing you with regards to a 115V dual socket I have in my bathroom. The problem is that I have 2 electric toothbrushes and I can only recharge one in the bathroom and the second one in the kitchen. If I plug in one toothbrush plug in the 115V socket the second toothbrush's plug cannot be recharged in the bathroom as I cannot literally plug it in the socket not even if I push. For this reason I have considered to buy an adaptor or a dual plug to be used for the only side of the socket which I believe it works and where I can plug in both of the toothbrushes' plugs. Sadly I did not manage to find any dual plug for my bathroom here in London or on Ebay or Amazon? Any idea why? Alternatively can you please suggest me anything else to do in order to recharge both of my toothbrushes at the same time and in the bathroom and using the very same socket?

While thanking you, I remain.

FAUSTA

Sponsored Links
A typical rechargeable toothbrush can be charged for one night, and will then last around ten days before needing to be charged again. There is no need and no benefit in constantly charging them.

Therefore you have no need to plug in two together.

If you are in the UK then you will not have any 115v outlets except possibly in a special "shaver" outlet in the bathroom. You mention a kitchen socket. It will not be 115v.

It might be interesting to know which toothbrushes you have, and in which country you bought them. Such appliances sold in Europe including the UK will usually be made for 220/230/240v supplies.

HTH

For safety reasons they are not meant to be used for running more than one device. You can buy shaver plug adaptors which is what you probably already have in your kitchen. The output from the bathroom socket is most likely one 230v and one 115v.

Fausta, you're asking in the wrong forum. I've asked the mods to move it for you to "Electrics".
I'm guessing you have a dual-voltage shaver socket in your bathroom. One side is 240V and t'other is 115V.
Are there four holes or just three?
You probably won't find an adaptor for this type of socket because it may be designed to only allow one appliance at a time.

But I'm not an electrician. Maybe an electrician may help you.

Sponsored Links
many thanks JohnD. I prefer to keep my toothbrushes constantly charged. This is something I do with my mobiles too.

What himaginn said. The device is only rated at 20watts and is a shaver, rather than a toothbrush charger. !
The two outputs are mechanically interlocked so you cannot plug two in and overload the transformer.
Sorry, has been asked many times. Buy an adaptor and plug one brush in a socket nearby.
But as JohnB says, they shouldn't both need recharging at the same time.

Hi Spark 123,
many thanks for this reply. No in my kitchen I have used a German plug (as I did not manage to plug it in) and a Euro/UK adaptor. The socket in my bathroom and I quote for shavers only is for both of them 115 V.
Hope this reply to your question.

KR
F

Hi Himagin,
Just 2 holes. The point is that in the continent they exist and I do not understand why they do not here in the UK.

in the continent they exist and I do not understand why they do not here in the UK.
Because we have different standards to the scary continent. Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms within 3metres of the bath/shower. Only special "shaver" sockets are permitted and these have special isolation transformers inside them.
That's the regulations here. Sorry!

There are lots of variations in what's available in UK to what's available in Europe, and vice versa.
But you've probably discovered a lot of the variations already.

It seems odd to have two 115v outlets mechanically linked, what make is the shaver outlet?
The other option may be to have a second one installed next to it - it may look a bit tat tho.

Hi taylortwocities,
I thought they could be mechanically interlocked. Is that so for safety reasons or so? Can I buy a dual adaptor in order to plug in both of the toothbrushes in the adaptor and recharge them both during the day? If so I guess that there should not be any reason for the socket to be mechanically interlocked. You see I do not want to run into risk to unplug the second toothbrush or keep it unplugged with consequences for their charging. Please let me know.

Kind Regards
F

perhaps it is like this:

GU7090.JPG

One socket for 115v and one socket for 230v

We still don't know where the brushes were bought or what their design voltage range is.

Hi Spark 123,

Will not comment about the bizarre socket choice. I found it when I moved in. Sadly I cannot have a second socket installed next to it as in my bathroom I have got tiles and when they built this flat they only installed one dual 115 V socket in the bathroom. Would the situation improve if I ask an electrician to replace the 115 V socket with a 230 V one?

Please let me know.

Kind Regards
F

The situation will not improve, if you change. There will be two sockets, one 115v and one 230v but yoiu will still only be able to use one at a time.
I already told you the reason for this above
The two outputs are mechanically interlocked so you cannot plug two in and overload the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back