probs to recharge 2 toothbrushes (moved from Information)

Hi JohnD,
Many thanks for your tip. Do you think I could keep both of the toothbrushes plugged in and charged in the bathroom and this socket?

KR
F

Sponsored Links
I prefer to keep my toothbrushes constantly charged. This is something I do with my mobiles too.
just some advice on some types of rechargeable batteries:
Some types are not affected by being re-charged before they are fully discharged. However, these type of batteries are good for an approximate number of re-charging cycles.
So, if you use your battery until it needs re-charging, say for about a week, and it's rated for say 100 re-charging cycles. It'll last for about 100 weeks.
If you re-charge every day, regardless of it's state of discharge, it'll last for about only 100 days. Obviously the re-chargeable cycle is only approximate. Some, rated at say 100 cycles, may last for more than 500 cycles.

The other common type of rechargeable battery has a memory, and if you re-charge it when it is only half way discharged, it'll think it only has half its capacity for future re-charges.

So, in summary, you're best to follow John's advice and re-charge 'em only when they need it. The batteries will last longer before being unable to be recharged.

If both brushes are the same type, just use one charger and interchange them as and when needed.

Last edited:
The situation will not improve, if you change. There will be two sockets, one 115v and one 230v but yoiu will still only be able to use one at a time.
I already told you the reason for this above
The two outputs are mechanically interlocked so you cannot plug two in and overload the transformer.

Another reason I can think of is that it is an isolation transformer and only meant to supply a single appliance keeping the risk of a single fault scenario to a minimum.

The situation will not improve, if you change. There will be two sockets, one 115v and one 230v but yoiu will still only be able to use one at a time.
I already told you the reason for this above
The two outputs are mechanically interlocked so you cannot plug two in and overload the transformer.

Another reason I can think of is that it is an isolation transformer and only meant to supply a single appliance keeping the risk of a single fault scenario to a minimum.
Correct. It is an electrically separated supply and so a fault on two appliances could expose the user to 230V whereas contact with a single unearthed conductor would not result in any current flowing.

Sponsored Links
Risteard has hit the nail on the head. To have two items needs either a double wound transformer or two transformers as they need to be isolated from each other. Also there is a 200 mA limit to have the BS EN 60742: 1996 also many have a limit of 20 VA loads over that may cause the solid state overload to operate before shaving is completed according to MK electric. They also state no load voltage is allowed to be as high as 275 volt and shavers designed for the continent may be damaged by inrush so should be recharged on the 115 volt setting.

A shaver socket is designed for shavers not tooth brushes. Some are designed for toothbrushes
MKK0701.JPG
the logo shows a tooth brush where they can be used for them. Many have a switch behind the socket so the transformer is only switched on when a plug is inserted. Even no load they can over heat. Be it a rechargeable tooth brush or shaver fact that it is rechargeable means it does not need a bathroom supply.

Holding a shaver in ones hand it is unlikely to be dropped into water. Having a shaver or tooth brush on charge they could be knocked and end up in the water.

FF, the best advice is only to charge these items when they are exhausted. However, if you want the two items plugged in in the bathroom 24/7, the only way is to fit another socket.

FWIW, my (UK-supplied) Oral B toothbrush charger is designed to run on 220-240V 50/ 60 Hz.

many thanks JohnD. I prefer to keep my toothbrushes constantly charged. This is something I do with my mobiles too.
Rarely is that the best strategy for maintaining batteries.

What do you prefer about the performance of a toothbrush which has been off-charge for a few seconds compared to one which has been off charge for a few days? Feel free to be rational, objective and evidence based.

For all makes?

Seriously - this is not a real problem.

It does not actually exist - it just has a manifestation which is entirely a creation of the OP's utterly bizarre mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back